_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Getting my sea legs. (1st ship)
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:51 AM UTC
Okay guys, if you hang out in the Aircraft forum or the chat room, you know I am suffering a pretty bad case of burn out. I decided to fight my way through it by building something different. I've never done a ship, so that's my choice. Went shopping today and narrowed it down to 2 ships. It's pretty sad to say it was an aircraft that decided it for me. I liked the little SH-60 on the New Jersey over the Type 2 Sea Plane on the Yamato. (Tamiya 1:350 scale BTW)

This suckers a monster (for me anyway), but like any elephant I'm gonna eat it 1 bite at a time. Any body familiar with this one that can tell me of any problem areas to be on the look out for?
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
You picked a greaqt kit TF.. There is really no problems with it . If anything The fit is too good.(if that is possible). The only real worries you may have is the three piece deck. hiding the seams can be tricky. If done out of sequence. but other than. It is pretty straight foward. Have a great time with it and if you need anything give a shout..
Can't wait to see it
Paul
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:18 PM UTC
Thanks, Warlock. I plan on documenting my progress pretty well, 'A car builders attempt at a floaty thing'. I'll link to it in my siggy when I get started. Probably won't be for a week or two though, I want to get most of my Wings over Water entry slogged through before I get down to business on this guy.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:34 PM UTC
Can't blame ya there broke plastic on my wings over water project too and plan on hitting it hard this week..
If you find some time in between I recommend you read the directions to that thing over and over . It will make more sense when the building time comes.
Plus you may give me the push I need to work on my 1/350 Missouri that keeps staring at me.
Good luck and can't wait to see that Osprey either
Paul
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
Yeah, I make it a habit to read the instructions for almost every kit at least 3 times before I start. Once to glance over it, one read through and one more time to study any sections that may look tricky and to decide how painting should be handled..
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
If you are feeling adventurous, you should get a Gold Medal Models photo-etch set. It will really make it into a show stopper.

TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 12:32 PM UTC
Maybe on my next one. This one is just for a no stress, fun build.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:38 PM UTC
Thinking on the next one already Tf? this could be a good sign of things to come
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
I'm always thinking about the next one. If this one goes well, I'm gonna go back and get the Yamato or the Missouri. (probably the Yamato)
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 07:33 PM UTC
Tim, if you ever get the chance, pik up a Lindberg Tirpitz, or Hood.

They are pretty good ships for the beginner. I have them and I am thinking about starting one after I get some armor built.

~Chip :-)
E101
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC
guys, when you all start building your models, you build the model complete and then paint or you paint when you are building? for me, i learnt a few lessons, i tried before building the model complete and then i paintin the end i make a great mess. then i tried another way, i paint the parts first before putting them together and the result is sure much more better although its still look ugly to me but it is better. i am still v much an amature when come to painting. by the way, tamiya kits are always the best for starters cause the quality is much more better, you don't need to sand down or clear any excess parts...
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
E101:
When it comes to ship bulding there are many ways to paint it. This is what I do due to it be the simpliest way for me to do it.
1. Mask and paint the hull.
2. Paint the deck sections fore and aft. Not much masking or deatil on it.
3. Build the decks as per direction and put the details on it. I.E. fine paint the anchor chains tie downs ect ect.(if you going to sand off the molded anchor chains do that first before painting)
The first three are for the Tamiya three deck section design other companies may be different.
The mid deck and upper decks are the tricky part.
I usually make subasemblies and paint and detail them before mounting them. this way once you secure a part to the hull there is no touch ups and stray paint marks
The main point is guess I am taking the long way around here is. break the ship down into subassemblies paint and detail them then mount them.
You may have to work out of sequence of the directions so try to plan ahead and dry fit like crazy
HTH
Paul
E101
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

E101:
When it comes to ship bulding there are many ways to paint it. This is what I do due to it be the simpliest way for me to do it.
1. Mask and paint the hull.
2. Paint the deck sections fore and aft. Not much masking or deatil on it.
3. Build the decks as per direction and put the details on it. I.E. fine paint the anchor chains tie downs ect ect.(if you going to sand off the molded anchor chains do that first before painting)
The first three are for the Tamiya three deck section design other companies may be different.
The mid deck and upper decks are the tricky part.
I usually make subasemblies and paint and detail them before mounting them. this way once you secure a part to the hull there is no touch ups and stray paint marks
The main point is guess I am taking the long way around here is. break the ship down into subassemblies paint and detail them then mount them.
You may have to work out of sequence of the directions so try to plan ahead and dry fit like crazy
HTH
Paul

wow, i like your way, must take down...thanks for sharing your ways, perhaps i can try as well... the painting part is realli a headache..geez
warlock0322
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:53 PM UTC
Anytime E101. I am just glad you could make heads and tails out of it cause I was starting to lose myself #:-) #:-)
Paul
 _GOTOTOP