_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
1/700 anchor chain, where to get some?
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm looking for some decent 1/700 PE anchor chain to replace to crappy moulded on chains on kits. I have a fair few kits that could do with them. Does anyone know of a good reasonably priced PE set and where the best place to buy is?
I've seen a set by Gold Medal Models on WEM that comes with anchors but the lengths look a bit shorter than I need.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
In the USA they have craft stores like , Michael's and Hobby Lobby. In UK you must have craft stores that are similar. Go to the jewelry making section and there you will find different size chain that you can use. It is inexpensive and the pieces are usually pretty long..........................
Removed by original poster on 05/17/11 - 17:41:38 (GMT).
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 06:44 AM UTC
from 20 links per inch to 46 links per inch, normally 1 metre in length - in your main window type in - Cornwall Model Boats - these are great people to deal with and cater for many different scales, R/C and real wood dios. Well worth a look.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In the USA they have craft stores like , Michael's and Hobby Lobby. In UK you must have craft stores that are similar. Go to the jewelry making section and there you will find different size chain that you can use. It is inexpensive and the pieces are usually pretty long..........................

Thanks for the suggestion. It was something I've considered, bad news is we have nothing like that in my hometown, plenty of proper expensive jewelers but thats it. We dont even have a model shop anymore. My town has been hit pretty hard by the recession and nearly every independant store, regardless of what they sell has shut. The closest is the hobbycraft chain of stores 2 towns over. Great if you want to buy artists paints, sewing stuff and airfix kits at over inflated prices but in all reality no good to no man.
I can see what you mean, real chain would look much better and even PE looks 2-dimensional. But without seeing it in the flesh its tricky to judge scale and size. I've used stuff from broken cheap jewelry (thank god for little sisters) but what I've got left is great for 1:35 tanks but overscale for 1:700. And its fine stuff about 1mm across a link. Probably good for battleships but too chunky for the destroyers and cruisers I've got. Thats why I thought a PE set at 1:700 would be safe ground. I will ask my girlfriend and see if she's got anything old stashed away. Maybe I should just give up, build them as is and then start working at a larger scale? The big stuffs just much easier to work with .
I will give Cornwall model boats a try, Alec do you have a website I can get them on? If they have really small stuff they could be the people I want.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC
Stephan............give me a PM with your address. If I can find some that small I will send it to you in a regular envelope. Shouldn't cost much. It's on me..........
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 03:32 AM UTC
Stephen, I don't know if you want to go to the trouble of ordering from a company here in the States, but if you do, Warship Hobbies has a great selection of accessories in 1/700 scale, including anchor chain. They are great to do business with and customer service is first rate.

Here is the link:shop.warshiphobbies.com/main.sc

Hope this helps.

Bob
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
I go to the local HS that carries HO Trains. They sell chain for the cars and it looks pretty good on 1/700 scale.

Sam
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, I don't know if you want to go to the trouble of ordering from a company here in the States, but if you do, Warship Hobbies has a great selection of accessories in 1/700 scale, including anchor chain. They are great to do business with and customer service is first rate.

Here is the link:shop.warshiphobbies.com/main.sc

Hope this helps.

Bob

Cheers Bob.
They've got exactly what I want, bad news is they're out of stock. I'll give them a go in a few weeks. They've got some other extras I might look into getting and make it worth the postage costs. I've no problems ordering from the states. I order sci-fi kits and accesories from starship modeler based in Illinois and they ship very quickly!
Everyones response has been great and I've got a lot more ideas so thanks to all.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Stephen, when they get it back in stock, order with confidence. They are great people to deal with and their customer service is second to none.

Hope you'll let us see some pictures of your final product, or better yet, some in progress pictures.

Bob
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:14 AM UTC
Will do. I'm close to finishing one of the Tamiya O-Class Destroyers so I'll get some pics of that up. Built straight from the box just as a test model for making realistic looking water to display it on.
Theres a few other projects that might prove a challenge. Found the old matchbox Fletcher, San Diego and Indianapolis in a box full of old railway stuff in the attic last year. I remember my dad buying them when I was a kid in the early 90's and they must have just gotten put away and forgotten. You dont see them around these days but they're easily as good as the japanese waterline kits I've got. Just need a little bit of work to improve a few areas.
 _GOTOTOP