_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
wooden decks adhesion
cswager
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 78 posts
Model Shipwrights: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi Guys
I am currently building a Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood and have fitted the wooden deck overlays by KA Models ( They have a self adhesive backing) which I bought from WEM. I am finding though that even after very carefully making sure that the deck is completely stuck down that after a few days there are areas where the deck is lifting up again. I had a similar problem with the wooden decks that came supplied with my Academy Graf spee. Have others had this problem ? and if so has anyone got any bright ideas/solutions to share.
Cheers
Colin
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 11:19 AM UTC
I just used the KA deck for my Prinz Eugen. I was worried it was too humid where I was working on the ship so after I placed mine I brought it home and it is resting in a controlled environment.

There were a couple of spots that did raise up a day afterward. I pressed these down and everything has been fine since.

When I placed mine down I had painted the hull its base color and sprayed the main deck as well.

cswager
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 02:39 PM UTC
thanks for the advice here. If i use glue I will try PVA carpenters glue.
cswager
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hi Jim
I think that what you have said makes sense. I attached to decks to the plain unpainted plastic . I think perhaps a light coat of paint first might be the answer.
I got a couple of the areas to stick down well by putting a small incision in the deck with a scapel ( along the plank line ) and infecting some thin CA glue in and pushing the deck back down.
Colin
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 02:56 PM UTC
Colin another glue that works well is Gator Glue.
cswager
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 05:03 PM UTC
Jim
I love Gator glue and use it all the time for photoetch but was'nt sure if it would work so well in this situation.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 01:29 PM UTC
I put a wood deck down in a different situation (just edge or lip contact, nothing under), but used CA and clamps/weight. The CA is more of a hardner than an adhesive, and it really gets into the wood and grips tight, provided you give it something to grip to on the plastic support side.

Gator is excellent. In CA v Gator tests with PE, I found them to be very similar in non-scientific, human perception rip/tug off testing. Possibly the Gator a tad less than the CA, but well beyond requirement!
 _GOTOTOP