_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
1/700 BB/CV Ise Hybrid
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 02:18 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

MSW Crew member Alec Cap is back with his wonderful 1/700 IJN Ise hybrid battleship.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Litvin70
Visit this Community
Krasnoyarsk, Russia
KitMaker: 49 posts
Model Shipwrights: 48 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC
Very good!
DieselDog
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Alec,

This looks like it was a fun build, an artistic change of pace from your grit and rust. Very nice.
I have to ask you about the rigging and will reveal my ignorance:
The points where rigging lines meet in mid air... Many modelers paint them white, particularly on japanese ships. On others it looks like a tiny blob that is the same color as the line.
Can you educate me on this?

Chuck B
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thunder storms at sea are deadly serious, the varied de-gusing cables and high communication and earth wires are met in their section by high rise insulators to defuse any flow of electricity, the ship is steel, and lightening loves taking the shortest route to earth, if you happen to be standing in the wrong place, you'll get zapped, so they try to degause and take away any possible electric strikes.
The upright part of the rigging normally used to hang communications flags, should be a different colour as it has a totally different job.
I still hate the idea of rigging you can hardly see, apart from being a pain to put in, its difficult to see, also to help me, I use a small blob of PVA (most important to use this type of glue) allow to dry and paint white, in this scale by painting it white, in my mind it looks like an insulator or object hung high above the decking, if I painted this a shade of grey, I believe it would simply look like a blob.
I hope this has gone some way to explain my excuse for those floating lumps of white stuff.
cswager
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 78 posts
Model Shipwrights: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC
Al
Beautifully executed model of a most interesting subject. I love the weathering and overall paint job. Rigging looks great. Do you use stretched sprue or something like uni thread?
Regards
Colin Swager
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi Colin - stretched sprue and fly fishing line, I believe this gives me the best of both worlds, the stretched melted plastic for the long piece, and where I need to hold flag fly line that I know won't snap.
On the reel - Danvile's 70 denisr (200 yds) flymaster 6/0 waxed.
Method, a blob of blue tack either end, one to attach the other act as a weight, dribble down super glue, with care, rub up and down with a paint brush handle and allow to dry, cut in sections of 2/3 inches, should be dead straight and quite stiff, attach using PVA as I would stretched sprue.
Hope this is of some help to you.
JSSVIII
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi Alec, nice job on that kit! you mentioned that the PE came with the kit, and if so, I was wondering if that was the premium kit? and if it is are you going to use the lower hull? I had always wanted to build this ship, (I had bought the old waterline version) with the intention of scratchbuilding the lower hull. Since I had already bought the PE I couldn't bring myself to shell out the $60 dr $70 dollars on the premium kit for just the lower hull, so the project has sat on the shelf for years. Your build has rekindled my intrest though, if you aren't going to use it, I would be happy to pay you for it. If you are interested please contact me @ [email protected] Again, great job, thanks for your time - John
 _GOTOTOP