_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
airbrushing technique
Fathom
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 02:27 PM UTC
Im about to paint a 1/700 destroyer and want to camo it. I'm new to airbrushing, and my attempts to mask a hard edge resulted in a noticable paint buildup along the edge of the Tamiya masking tape. How does one avoid this? Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fathom
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 03:05 PM UTC
Hello hello! If you're new to airbrushing, then the simplest advice is to get better aquainted with your brush. Just curious, what model brush did you get? The easiest solution to avoiding paint buildup that I can think of is to simply spray less paint. Again, the ability to do this will come the more you use your brush, but for now, just remember to always keep the brush moving, and to do so smoothly! If you go too fast, the paint won't go where you want. If you go too slow, you'll get the buildup that you're hoping to avoid. Also, be sure your brush is always perpendicular to the surface you want to paint (at least for painting large sections like a hull or wings)...the hull most likely won't be completely flat, so take into account the angle you're spraying at. It's entirely possible that you're actually spraying a bit under the tape. Which leads me to my next point: make sure the tape is well burnished before painting! (Also if you're taping over a previously painted section, be sure the tape is firm enough to hold but weak enough that it won't strip the paint when you SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY peel it back!) So recap time:

1. Keep the brush moving smoothly across the target;
2. Keep the brush perpendicular to the target;
3. Burnish your quality (Tamiya) tape well before spraying;
4. Practice!!! And the best way to do so is to keep building models!

Hope this helps you in your modeling adventures. I remember when I first used my airbrush...a bit intimidating, but the results are unbelievable! Best of luck, my friend!
Fathom
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC
Thanks, mate!
I've tried to use these principles, but I clearly need more practice. I
Have a Cresendo, (on the advice of a fellow modeler), and IT works
Well, it appears I'm the weak link.
Thank you for the reply and the advice. I guess I'll have to keep trying!

Again,my thanks
Fathom
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 06:12 PM UTC
Never worked with a Crescendo, but like you, I've heard great things about them. And you got the idea...practice makes perfect. For me and my modeling, it's not about getting the model to be a pristine miniature of the original, but rather to be a platform for my own growth and development as a modeler/artist. I and everyone else in the world can agree that you improve when you work. Just try not to get perfectionism get in the way of enjoying yourself!
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 06:43 PM UTC
Robby is right on using thin layers of paint. The angle is also important: spray towards the tape and it will build up more than if you spray from the other direction.
Julian
Fathom
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC
Well said. I think sometimes I get cought up in making
an exact replica, but I put fun above all else when building.
I will continue to build, learn, and hopefully improve.
Thanks for your imput,

Fathom
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
KitMaker: 125 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Try spary away from the masking tape. In other words, start at the bottom and work yourself up to the masked area. Little paint should filter under the tape. If it's fresh, any little bit of paint should be picked off with a toothpick.
Fathom
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
roger that Gendrok. im going to start painting tonight on scrap styrene that i have masked, just for practice. thanks to all for the advice!
 _GOTOTOP