_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Support Vessels
Non-combat support vessels of any type and post-sail.
Hosted by Harry
Its a liberty I tell ya !
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hello there, I never thought I'd be happy building a cargo ship, I built two and haev another in my stash, the SS John W. Brown liberty ship and built for the US navy the USS Bootes (AK-99) crater class cargo ship.
Some time ago I designed and built what I call a segmented diorama, for which I was quite pleased and more then happy to display my growing fleet of IJN ships, but when I photographed these ships against the same background to me that looked even better, almost as if the dio was designed for cargo ships, logically though, I dare say this is their home a natural habatat with buildings and thingy here and there.
This is a first for me, and (premission to be smug,sir !) rather pleased with these two, the weathering is errrrr um I can live with it.
I'll be sending these off to the gallery soon, but happy with the build wanted to know if possible what you thought. Please don't worry, comments both good and bad.

liberty cargo ship 048 by warship, on Flickr

liberty cargo ship 003 by warship, on Flickr
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 07:44 AM UTC
WOW! I'm surprised that mine is the first reply to your post. Your dio is quite outstanding. Where did you get the cargo (trucks, tanks, etc.) ? I just ordered the John Brown. What did you think of the kit?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 09:23 AM UTC
Alec, I always like seeing your work. I'm sorry I missed this before. Glad Cary pulled it up again. It's very impressive, both in detail and size.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
Thank you for those kind words, both of the Trumpy kits are the same thing, and both make very good models, the Skywave model I'd say slightly off the mark especially with some rather poor detailing, but its cheap enough and allows the builder to play about with it.
The trucks and buildings are mostly what I cast and sell on ebay, sometimes they sell and I can actually fund my little hobby, and other times ebay actually will cost me money to sell, obviously depends where you live and what type of vehicle you're after, I have 3 types of heavy truck, and some 4 x 4's somewhere, I use to sell 6 for £2.00 + shipping, made from stone casting.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 12:17 PM UTC
Alec, a couple more questions. First, how did you come up with the rigging layout? And are your models 1/350 or 1/700? If 1/350, do you have any vehicles that could be used as stowage that you would be willing to sell?

Thanks
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 07:53 PM UTC
For rigging I tried to work out how these crane would actually be supported, and make them move about, both are 1-700 and at the moment I am not selling on ebay, but I do sell quite a lot there.
[email protected]
Above, send me an email and I'll try and give some idea of price, you'll have to tell me from what part of the world you come from as this obviously will effect cost of shipping.
 _GOTOTOP