_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
M.A.S. 563 Serie 3a classe 500
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

Part Time MSW Crew member Alan McNeilly shares with us his build story of the RM MAS Boat in 1/35 scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi Jim, thanks for sorting out the issues with this one.

Hi folks,

As a general question what's you thoughts on follow up featuers from build blogs? Judgeing from the response, or lack of it, I'm starting to think they are a bit of a waste of time. This is based on the premis that anyone interested in the blog will have already picked up what they want rendering the follow up feature a time consuming and pointless effort.

Any thouhgts?

Al
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 05:41 AM UTC
I think in this case the unusual subject, (that is what made me buy the Italian midget), and your amazing scratch built interior caused such a huge bubble of interest here on-line that a lot of the model building community followed your blog with unusual dedication. Having said that they have seen what you are now offering in a more condensed form. A bit more time and space between your blog and this feature might have been a better tactic. At this moment in time I am about half a year on from the Haruna build I did and I have about half of a feature written about the build. The truth of the matter is that it seems like only yesterday I finished the build but since then the Fletcher, the MAS and the Arizona have passed by. I think that sometime after the Summer I will finish the feature and mail it to Jim as it might be of more interest by then, ( the smoke has cleared and the mental exorcism has been completed).
Just my two cents Alan. Your build was excellent in blog or feature form. That can never be taken away mate !
cheers,
Julian
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Julian,

Thanks for your thoughts, I can see the logic in that. It would work well time wise for a photo featture, but if I left build feature for any length of time I'd loose most of the information from my mind .

As there is a fair amount of additional work required in putting a feature together they tend to need to get done, at least on my part, so that I can move on with the next project.

The publishing schedule is up to the editor and tends to cross reference to where the feature sits in the queue so not something I really have any control over but perhaps a point for Jim to consider.

Apologies for the slight delay in replying, I just wanted to see if anyone had anything else to add to the original question.

Cheers

Al

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hi guys...

Ok, a late reply, but worth it! (at least I think so!)

Great build feature, with good photography and info to go along.
The fact that Al Ross has supported this with is plethora of knowledge make this a great reference feature for anyone interested in these craft, this kit and this scale.

I hope that this answers to your question, Alan... but here it goes "black on white":
- Buildblogs are great for feedback while making our model, but this kind of feature is valuable for future reference (it's filed in the proper area, it has a high visibility for new members who search for a particular subject).

All in all, a good job well presented!

Cheers
Rui
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 08:19 PM UTC
Morning Rudi,

Thanks for the thoughts and the feedback. I don't worry too much about replies other than I like to know if the effort has been worthwhile and that's not always clear if the article is met by silence. It's a two way process, if the article is crap then I'd rather people say so, if it's worthwhile same thing. At least that way you know it hasn't been a wastered effort or if you need to change the style or whatever.

Cheers

Al

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 11:50 PM UTC
I agree with Rui. A build blog is great. However it can get lost in the shuffle. However a feature is a little easier to search and keep track of.

It is impossible to predict exactly which features will be flooded with responses and which ones won't.

Also another point. A member might, for what ever reason, miss the blog but find the feature on it.

Hope that makes sense.

Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 02:00 AM UTC
I don't really follow blogs, so feature is best for me.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Jim & Roman,

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

Al
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Great feature Alan! Impressive work!

Quoted Text

I agree with Rui. A build blog is great. However it can get lost in the shuffle. However a feature is a little easier to search and keep track of.

I agree with this and think the effort is worth it. It's also a way to preserve your work for yourself.

Cheers!
Stefan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi Stefan,

Thanks, it was an unusual project but fun. I think I need to work on weathering the hull aa bit better and reducing the blackening around the exhausts, but there was a certain amount of pressure to get it done as I'd taken over the dining room table for the build and SWMBO wanted it back

Thanks for the thoughts.

Cheers

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hello Alan, The added figures sure look great. I think they provide a sense of scale and add visual interest to a terrific build. I followed your build log and found it incredibly helpful to my own ongoing build. I think the feature article has provided me with additional information and inspiration. Knowing my own limitations in typing skills,I can truly appreciate your effort, thanks. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Thanks for the comments and the support during the build, I'm glad you found both articles useful.

Good luck with your porject, post up some pics, there is a lot of fun to be had with this one.

Alan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

Many thanks, it was a pity I couldn'e get 1/35 scale engines, but the engine room worked out better than I expected especially the additional units.

No, unfortunately the cross member for the torpedos excludes removing the roof. However, the effecct is what I wanted, although you can't see it in the pics there is a considerable amount of detail visible through the open hatches which draws the viewer into the boat, which was the main purpose, that an filling up such a large empty space and of course having some fun.

I had considered leaving the deck as a lift off item but the rudder excludes that also. If, I'd been brave enough I might have cut an opening into one side of the hull, but you'd need even more detail for that I think.

Cheers

Al
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 05:58 PM UTC
Hello Alan,
I am sorry I missed your BLOG about the MAS Boat. But with the heart thing and Stroke I missed alot here at MSW and I am trying to catch up.
I did read the feature Jim put up and you did a great job with this build.
One day I might be able to be able to do about 1 % of your modeling skill.
Thanks for the feature,
Cheers,
Bruce
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

Thank you kind Sir. I hope you have a steady recovery, stay well. That's an impresive gallery you have.

Cheers

Al
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
Top Notch work there , Alan!
Bravo Zulu!
Guido
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Guido,

Thanks for dropping in and the comments. Appreciated.

Al
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bruce,

Thank you kind Sir. I hope you have a steady recovery, stay well. That's an impresive gallery you have.

Cheers

Al

Hello Alan,
Looks can be deceiving. I have not touched a model in over a year now.
In the gallery there are 3 models that are 5 % started and on page 4 the husky,
Wolf is his name, I had to put down last friday.

Again great job on your build.
Cheers,
Bruce
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hi Bruce,

Sorry to hear about the family pet, it's amazing how attached you get to them, which is probably why I stopped keeping pets a long time ago.

I can only wish you a speedy recovery and stay well. We tend to take health for granted until it goes wrong

Thanks again for the comments..

Al
Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

First off, this is an outstanding result with many and not easy to accomplish unique features.

To answer your question:
A blog about the build process is fine in its own right, since people get a place to discuss even off topic questions while the modeler is in the building process.
The feature however - and yours is really nicely written and performed - gives all interested condensed and related infromation. At least for me, a well written feature like yours saves a lot research time. Having to pick up the related information out of a build blog can be very time consuming for itself.
Beside that, the reference photos in a build log often are saved outside kitmaker network and plain linked to. Over the time, valuable information gets lost. In a feature however, at least this is my understanding, the reference photos and drawings are saved on the kitmaker network. That is a great benefit if you take future accessibility into account.

I fully comprehend, that a feature takes a lot of valuable time about personally closed matters. Closed, because you alredy dealt with the problems in the build log and found a working solution which are already shown there.

For this, I really appreciate your efforts in writing the feature and no, it is no waste of time but a rich addition crowning your build log efforts.

Best

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi Dariush,

Thanks for looking in and your thoughts. I'm glad you found the article useful, it makes the effort worthwhile.

Many thanks

Al
jlmurc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 01:04 PM UTC
Well, well Mr McNeilly I have discovered your secret fetish I only came here to check the site address to share it with a member of another site, who was asking advice about building the USS Missouri and imagine my surprise to find that you have been lured away to the 'wet side' of the hobby

In seriousness Alan, that is a fabulous and eye catching build, which looks very impressive and is a stunning result to your hard work.

Great job mate...........what next...................... matchstick modelling? Big Ben for instance or the London Eye?

Aye'

John
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hi John,

Yes, watery things, great fun. still need a bit more work on the hull but I enjoyed this one a lot.

Thanks for looking in and all the best for now.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP