_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Kirov class 1st look
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 11:07 PM UTC

USSR Kalinin 017 by warship, on Flickr
Above is my finally finished USSR Kalinin, a Kirov missile battle cruiser class ship of the Russian navy, the whole class is being recalled and being totally up-graded by 2020, considering this advanced nuke carrier first appeared back in the 80's I can't wait to see what she'll look like with a good make over in a few years from now.
The 1-700 Trumpy wasn't without problems, ill fitting parts and sheer size of this model ment that it took me some time to complete, finally I did rush it a little as I wanted to move on.
I am not 100% certain why this ship constructed into the HUGE battle cruiser it became, but I do know it makes a nice change of pace.
If anyone has any comments, good or bad, then please feel free to leave them.

USSR Kalinin 006 by warship, on Flickr
ropeynz
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 134 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 06:59 AM UTC
This class has beautiful lines - very graceful. So what were the problems with the kit?
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
On the main superstructure right in the middle, there's a huge gap underneath that lucky you can't see unless you look for it. Because I buit it, my eye is automatically drawn to it, the back section doesn't go togther either, and as I was building this model, I was beginning to think that perhaps, originally you might of had a choice of different builds using other pieces, however there;s nothing on the instruction sheet to suggest this.
Sorry to say, I've always believed you should be able to buy a model and simply build it, while this is really a good looking ship and believe me, a ton of etch rail was used, it does have several poor fitting parts, filing and putty is the way forward, you will be rewarded with a rather nice display model.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
Nice one Alec, I love the unusual looking Russian radar scanners. They seem to built very chunky and aggressive looking ships.
Julian
djandj
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This class has beautiful lines - very graceful. So what were the problems with the kit?

To begin with, the decal emblazoned on the side of the kit says (in phonetic and way over scaled Russian) "Admiral Nachemov". (not Kalinin) (I studied in Kalinin, USSR back in 1990 for a summer.)
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

To begin with, the decal emblazoned on the side of the kit says (in phonetic and way over scaled Russian) "Admiral Nachemov". (not Kalinin) (I studied in Kalinin, USSR back in 1990 for a summer.)

Just goes to show when following instructions and not doing any research, as I said, this was USSR Kalinin a Kirov class missile battle cruiser later re-named the Admiral Lazarev, and it would appear that Trumpter believing what I am not sure, any fancy Russian name would do. Obviously from the point of the model, I'll leave the yellow/golden name where it is, but thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 08:47 PM UTC
At least it doesn't read "Leningrad Burgerking"
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 10:52 PM UTC
Oh yeah - how'd you know it don't
Sorry I'll stop laughing in a minute, you caught me, you, you you !
The Trumpter decal sheet was rubbish, and looking at that wonderful looking name, and guessing the first name or word was Admiral, I thought how many people would know what the other word ment ? One, Doh !
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 09:53 PM UTC
Very nicely done Alec. I have the Dragon Kit so it be intersting to compare when I build it.....Cheers Mark
 _GOTOTOP