_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
K-335 Gepard Submarine
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

Join Nicola Saggini [ _VIPER_ ] as he shares with us a detailed in-box look at the latest offering from Bronco, the Russian K-335 Gepard Akula II (or- better - III) class submarine, preceded by an historic introduction on the development of the submarine class for clarification purposes.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 09:47 PM UTC
Solid work Mr. Saggini - a good read an a very honest review.

Cheers/Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
This is a very helpful review and much appreciated.

Regarding the lower hull halves, they are difficult to put together as there is no real way to apply proper clamping force except on the ends. I used traditional styrene glue and the parts separated slightly along the joint. If not for this, the lower hull halves would have joined together almost seamlessly. Using a quick drying glue of your choice would resolve this issue and leave you with very minimal cleanup.
_Viper_
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 163 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 08:04 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Jeremy, your input is much appreciated. I have done something similar as you describe for Airfix Trafalgar, though there it is easier due to its smaller size.

I also profit to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 06:33 PM UTC
My pleasure Nicola! This wouldn't be much harder than the Trafalgar, just make sure that you hold the hull haves upside down on a hard flat surface and apply very gentle pressure with your hands and you'll be good to go.

This is really a nice kit from a building standpoint, and I would like to see some AM show up to address the inaccuracies for those of us who are not as skilled in scratchbuilding. Even if it was just something to address the sail.

Merry Christmas to you too, and Happy Holidays to everyone here
_Viper_
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 163 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:46 AM UTC
I second your wish about aftermarket corrections and I am glad to hear the kit builds nicely (HMS Vanguard also fell together!). My greatest fear, though, is that a correction of the sail wold require major surgery in that the entire upper hull is molded integrally.

Or maybe Bronco will issue an Akula 1/2 kit for which the actual sail would be much more fitting.
Or maybe Hobbyboss will pick up and release its own version (after all they did a 1/700 Akula)

Warm wishes again!

_GOTOTOP