_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
U-boat deck details
Kaleun
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:33 PM UTC
I'm about to build the 1:72 Revell Type VIIC U boat and I heard that there's an aftermarket wooden deck for it. Did the VIICs actually have wooden deck plates? Also where can I get 1:72 scale German U-Boat bridge crew members?
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi Eric

Yes, most ww2 subs had wooden decks - including the VIIC - you can either substitute the kit deck with a wooden one from Nautilus or give the kit part a paint job that looks like a worn finish.

The decks on german subs normally had a dark finish that would be worn of in areas with traffic over time.

There are many doing crews - among other Warrior, Hekler and goros and CMK - the latter has several sets in resin, including update and interior sets.

Cheers/Jan
Kaleun
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Jan. Nice to meet you. If I were able to acquire the wooden deck for the 1:72 Revell VIIC, what would be an appropriate wear color in those high traffic areas you mentioned? Also, do you have web addresses for all those companies you mentioned? I also need to know where I can get the upper pressure hull kit for the Revell Type VIIC. Otherwise, when I cut out the limber (ballast) holes, the hollow space will be glaringly obvious.

Hi Eric

Yes, most ww2 subs had wooden decks - including the VIIC - you can either substitute the kit deck with a wooden one from Nautilus or give the kit part a paint job that looks like a worn finish.

The decks on german subs normally had a dark finish that would be worn of in areas with traffic over time.

There are many doing crews - among other Warrior, Hekler and goros and CMK - the latter has several sets in resin, including update and interior sets.

Cheers/Jan [/quote]
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 11:42 PM UTC
He Eric,
there's also the upper pressure hull for the VIIc available from Yankee Modelworks:
http://www.internethobbies.com/yamowo1screu.html

Michael
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 04:53 PM UTC
Lots of useful information here.

http://www.artitec.nl/downloads/instructions/uboat/uboat_colours.pdf

Save it and sift through it off-line, great reference on the type VII boat.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 07:17 PM UTC
I have had that inner hull, I choose to build one myself - not much visible anyway.

/Jan
 _GOTOTOP