_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tightening Loose Rigging
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 01:14 PM UTC
I am currently working on the Italeri 1/35 MAS torpedo boat. The boat has external steering cables running above the deck,through pulleys, from the pilothouse, aft to the rudder. Italeri provides grey thread, which I used, to do the rigging. The next day, to my horror, I found the once tightly strung line was suddenly loosened, and later in the day the line was mysteriously tight again. I think that this thread is apparently susceptible to temperature changes. Loosening when cooled, and becoming taut again when it is warm again. What I would like to know is if anyone knows of a way to keep the rigged line taut (without keeping the model basking in the sun). Al
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi there.
I know what you're talking about! I had the exact same problem with the riggings on my u-boat. One day they're tight and the other way too loose. But it might have something to do with the paint. My "problems" started after I did the priming. I used nylon thread as rigging, but does anyone other suggestions?
Jacob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hello Jacob, I didn't paint mine, and it definitely has something to do with temperature. I first noticed that when I had kept the model in an air-conditioned room, the rigging loosened. Later, after I had moved it to a warmer room, the line grew taut again. I have seen the same thing happen several times since then. On several colder nights it became loose, and later, when the sun came up and warmed the house, it tightened once more. I was wondering if somehow sealing the string I used, while it is taut, will keep it from loosening again? If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them. Al
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 04:01 AM UTC
Al
My strings were sealed, when this happened, so paint or no paint dosen't seem to be importent. This is excactly why this hobby is so relaxing
Jacob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC
Relaxing? This hobby is supposed to be relaxing? I must be doing something wrong! Al
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Al, sounds like the airco is playing a devious role here. I used exactly the same thread on my MAS and have had no problems at all. Maybe try replacing the thread with EZ-Line?
And please write 100 times:
"model building is a relaxing hobby, it helps me to get rid of stress"
Cheers,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hello Julian, I'm afraid there is no way to replace the string. I am too far along in the build. The depth charge rack is already installed over the rudder tiller bar. I couldn't get in there to tie it off. I'll just have to keep my 'baby' warm, I guess. On a happier note, I received my Hold & Fold '5 Speed' a few days ago. It made folding the ammo rack bases a piece of cake. Those racks are the only thing left, besides the crew, to complete. Curiously, I read a review of the MAS on a different site and the reviewer recommended it to 'all age groups'. Based on the difficulty of folding & assembling those racks, I would certainly have to disagree. As they say, some skill is required. While it isn't a 'shake-n-bake' kit, I would definitely recommend it to any experienced builder, but I would not advise a beginner to take it on. Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 - 06:42 AM UTC
Slightly off topic here as this applies only to stretched sprue. I use an inexpensive ($10 - $15) hair blow dryer to taughten sagging lines. I think it has to do with the elasticity and memory inherent in plastic. The second time the plastic (stretched sprue) is heated it softens slightly and tries to return to it's original shape, so it starts to shrink. A word of caution though, if it's heated too much it may also shrink too much and pull a plastic mast or yard out of alignment.
 _GOTOTOP