_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Academy 1/350 Oliver Hazard Perry
psgavin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC
Hello, This is my build of FFG-7. I spent almost 5yrs on her and I'm building her as she was when I there. I have purchased 3 P/E sets (WEM,Yankee,KA ), 2 decal sets and 2 resin parts kits.
I am building a lot of the small stuff that was missing llike ammo lockers and such plus re-doing much of the detail that was on the kit. Overall I find the kit to well done BUT there are somethings that could be better such as the inclusion of a 26' MWB and a SH2 Sea Sprite helo would make this a kit that would cover almost every ship in this class.
Thank You for looking and any comments are welcome

Some of the hull mods I did

Scratching up the TACTAS for the short hull

Some deck lights, ammo locker, ships bell

Scratch bollards, deck hatch, P/E radio antenna

Forward bulkhead with detail work

Stern

Hull w/ mods
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 12:28 PM UTC
Welcome to MSW!!

Like your work on the OPH so far.

I got to see her a few times in Norfolk in the early 90's. Looking forward to seeing more.

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
Welcome aboard and very nice work so far. Will watch this one with interest.....Cheers Mark
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 04:29 AM UTC
Looks great so far! How's the fit on things? I'm looking into a Perry FFG myself. Did she have her name printed on the stern when you were on her? (Thank you for your service!) That's something that I haven't seen on ships lately...maybe I just never noticed. Anyway I'm looking forward to the rest of this build!

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you spend on the kit and all the AMs?
psgavin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Robby and thanks for the kind words. I spent almost 5 yrs on her and another 5 yrs on FFG-9 Wadsworth. The fit of the kit is good over all but I find it lacking a lot of detail over all. I have stripped almost everything from the 02 lvl and totally stripped the 03 lvl. I spent about $40 for the kit and at last count about $150 for P/E and resin for her. The P/E kit from WEM is great and I highly recommend it, the one from Yankee I would pass on and I'm waiting on the kit from KA Models which has a lot of extras the others did not such as doors and hatches, portholes.
This kit would be nice as an OOB for most people but she does hold some fond memories for me so I might be going a bit overboard
jstefani
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC
Thank you for your photo postings. I recently bought the USS Reuben James FFG-57 kit from Academy. Watching your progress will definitly help me get good results.
 _GOTOTOP