_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Suggestions for a Beginner
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 08:54 PM UTC
I've been modelling aircraft for about a year now and I would like to try out a ship or two to break up the monotony of 'wingy things.'

I'm not sure where to start though; I know between 1/600 and 1/700 would be a good scale size and space wise but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a could ship to start off with, one suitable for a beginner?

If it helps, Airfix and Revell are the most plentiful kits in my area at the moment.

Thanks.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 09:41 PM UTC
It really depends on period / navy / ship you like the look of.

Airfix, a lot of their ship kits date back to the 60's & early 70's and are a bit tired and in some cases are of dubious accuracy, some of the later kits are better. HMS Belfast, or Prinz Eugen would be a good start, or if you fancy an ocean liner, the Queen Mary II is good.

Revell, beware, a lot of oldies in new boxes. they show a new tool 1/700th Bismarck in their catalogue, new tool, not sure if that is released yet. Also on the civil front Colombo express (container ship) and QM2 in 1/700

It is always worth checking the reviews and build logs on this and other ship modelling websites.

If you can get hold of the likes of Tamiya / Fujumi / Aoshima / Dragon / Trumpeter they have some really nice kits, and are the real masters in 1/700th.

Hope it helps

Si
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 09:48 PM UTC
If you have been building aircraft you are probably accustomed to a level of detail that you will not find in 1/600 or 1/700 scale ships, (although they are easy to store). Have you considered the Airfix 1/72 scale coastal patrol vessels? (S-boat, Vosper, RAF rescue boat). Might be a nice way to "get your feet wet".
Julian
vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thank you all for the advice.

I am interested in Airfix's HMS Suffolk, any advice in regards to that kit?
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
Airfix HMS Suffolk? 1/600 scale?"..............
Easy to store
Julian
 _GOTOTOP