_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Trumpeter 1:350 Z-25
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 03:10 AM UTC
I have begun gathering information etc. for my build, and while the kit as such looks ok, I must say, that the twin 20 mm are rather bad. I have been looking around for substitutes for the entire mount - not only the barrels - but haven“t located anything yet - any suggestions ?

Cheers/Jan
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 05:59 AM UTC
Jan,

I cannot remember if Veteran Models is doing a 20mm replacement weapon or not. They are coming out with some great AM items for the DKM.

Sometime here shortly I will finish my review on that kit...I actually like it, even with its problems.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC
No luck so far, hope someone like L' Arsenal gets around doing it.

The kit is not bad, but care must be taken cutting the parts with the thin railing, like the bridge, as the styrene is somewhat brittle so its easy to damage the edge.

Cheers/Jan
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 03:00 AM UTC
This may take a bit of adapting, but Master Models make excellent single Oerlikon 20mm. The barrels and pedestal mount are turned brass and the rest is PE. I am finishing Trumpeter's Graf Spee and I replaced all the 20's with Master's guns, it really makes a difference as the kit guns are very terrible. A word of caution, though, the Master gun parts are very tiny and require patience and care. As an aside, Dragon Z class destroyers, while a little more expensive, are far superior to Trumpeter's and their guns are quite accurate and don't require replacing.
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hello Jan I have the kit of Dragoon and recently buy Orange Model's PE set I recommend and I am thinking helping you with your Trumpeter destroyer

Regads
 _GOTOTOP