_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Airfix HMS Warspite 1/600
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
I was wondering if anybody had made this kit? I don't do that many ships, and never in this small a scale, but I just want to have a Warpsite and I think this is the only game in town.

With the possible exception of the Hood I like the Warspite over evey other ship. What a fighting record she had.

warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
Rodger:

I found this while poking around I hope this helps
http://store.yahoo.com/internethobbies/hmswarwwibri.html
If not let me know and I'll look a little more for ya
Paul
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:12 PM UTC
Rodger:

Sorry about the first post now that I read it with a little more caffine in the system I think I get the jist of your question.
So lets try this and see if it answers what your asking. I haven't built the kit as of yet but I found this out there it is a little short but I hope this is closer to the question your asking.
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/reviews.html

Hope this one helps ya out a little better
Paul
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 11:03 PM UTC
It seems to me that White Ensign Models had some detail sets for the Warspite and her sister ships. For the life of me, I have yet to figure out why Airfix and Aurora thought that they "had to be special" and make their ships in 1/600 instead of standard 1/700 or 1/720. I've seen pictures of the Belfast with photo-etch and white metal add ons, and she looks nice
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 02:35 AM UTC
Thanks Paul. As it happens I had already seen both of the sites you posted but I appreciate the thought you put into helping.

I always ask here, even when I've seen reviews on other sites, just because I trust and respect what you folks here have to say. I was just wondering if anybody had built her. My LHS has one for $11.50 and when it's only a buck of so difference between what I can get it for online I prefer to buy locally to keep them in business.

I think I'll pick the old girl up next paycheck and see what I can do. I might even pop for the detail kit if I can find it anywhere.

Thanks again.
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
The reason Airfix and Lindberg made ships to 1/600 scale is that 1/600 is 50 feet to the inch and both the UK & US were using good ole feet & inches.

Alkso don't forget that these 2 companies were among the pioneers of plastic ship kits, you might say that its the others that digressed from the path already set by these 2 formerly great companies.

Just my 2penneth worth.

Happy modelling

:-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2003 - 11:32 AM UTC
Howdy Halfyank,

My apologies, I am not a shipbuilder (I guess I'm just trying to save my eyesight for as long as I can :-) ). So I can't help you with any specific's. What I can do is offer my assistance in the form of an additional Airfix HMS Warspite 1:600th scale kit if you require it! Not sure if that's any help at all, but since you reside in Colorado Spring's, and I in Denver, it wouldn't be a long Pony Express ride to send it to you if you feel the need. I have one sitting on the shelf (I'm looking at it now) that is simply collecting dust.
Just let me know.

Tread.

HTH.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 03:58 PM UTC
Thanks for the offer Tread. I appreciate it but the only thing I need less that one more unbuilt kit, is two unbuilt kits.

Didn't know you were up in the big D. With the state of my two cars, that between them aren't worth what I've just spent on my kitchen, I don't know when I'll be getting up there again. Are you involved in any modeling clubs or the like up there? Have you ever heard of The Colorado Crew, a bunch of guys who make scratchbuilt RC ships. One guy has a 1/72, that is NOT a misprint, USS Colorado. Can you IMAGINE a 1/72 battleship?

_GOTOTOP