_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Prinz Eugen/Hipper
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 07:04 AM UTC
I just bought Trumpeter Admiral Hipper with the intentention of building it as a 1941 Prinze Eugen, with Flyhawk Prinz Eugen P/E. I am pretty sure, as commissioned, both ships were virtually identical (with the exception of Hippers aircraft catapult slightly repositioned). Am I correct in my assumption, or am I just giving myself extra unexpected work? I am thinking it is easier to build Hipper as Prinz Eugen rather than buy Trumpeter's 1945 Prinz Eugen and back-date it.
redalb2253
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC
The Hipper was shorter and lighter, something to think about they were not the same in alot of ways.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 02:40 AM UTC
How could the Hipper be shorter and lighter when Hipper, Blucher, and Prinz Eugen were all "sister" ships?? I think you might be wrong. Over the years there were minor differences in the amount of added AA armaments. Oh yeah, Hipper was temporarily shorter (and lighter) when she had her stern blown off by a torpedo from a British sub.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC
My apologies to Redalb, you were right and I was wrong! Prinz Eugen was indeed some 5 meters longer, although not very noticeable in 1/350. From the main deck up, the superstructure and bridge was pretty much identical with the Hipper, and that's where I'm hoping I won't have any fit problems with the Prinz Eugen PE set. My main concern is with the light Flak armament. The kit guns are crap and don't even bear a slight resemblance to the Flak 38. If they had been Flak 29 Oerlikons I could replace them with Master Model guns, but unfortunately.... My purpose was to have the Prinz Eugen as she looked with Bismark - not Trumpeter's 1945 version with all the quad Flak 38's. Does anyone have suggestions for a decent (or even a not too decent) Flak 38 in 1/350 scale?
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 12:48 PM UTC
The German's had a bad habit of building a class of ships that were different from one another. Bismarck and Tirpitz are sisters, but different.

Some people refer to the Hipper class ships as the Hipper and Prinz Eugen Class. The Hipper and Blucher were closer to one another and Prinz Eugen was different. Seydlitz and Lützow were never finished so it is hard to say if they were different from the others.

redalb2253
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 04:50 PM UTC
No problem Bigg I have both kits and a few books on the subject, bothe are excellent kits and will finish up fine I'm ging to order the wood decks for both when I can.
Shanghaied
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 106 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 09:37 PM UTC
There are actually quite a lot of differences between Admiral Hipper and Prinz Eugen. For the beginning a very significant difference is the bow profile. Hipper is shorter because the clipper bow is much steeper than in Prinz Eugen. Hipper was built with a straight bow and converted later, Prinz Eugen received the "Atlantic Bow" during construction already.
Another detail which is very nice for identifying the ships on photos is the tripod mainmast. In Hipper the support are aft, in Prinz Eugen they are forward of the mast.
There are many more smaller differences, but a conversion from one ship to the other is not so easy.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 01:06 AM UTC
Tom, very good point about the bows of each ship, as well as pointing out the other differences.

It might be easier to back date the Prinz kit to the year you want. I really want to build her as she looked during the Channel Dash, but am currently working on the 45 version.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 07:09 AM UTC
I for one relish detail differences in "sister" ships: look at the differences in the Zara-class Italian heavy cruisers--it gives me a excuse to build them all!

--Karl
Shanghaied
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 06:25 PM UTC
If you look at http://www.admiral-hipper-class.dk/ you can see a lot of photos as well as colored profiles showing Hipper's and Eugen's camouflage and changes over their career.
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC
Better to back date Trumpeters Prinz Eugen than trying to convert the Hipper to the Prinz Eugen. Prinz Eugen was considered an improved, updated Hipper class unit, along with the unfinished Seydlitz and Lutzow.

There were notable differences between the first two, Hipper and Blucher, and the Prinz Eugen.

Prinz Eugen had,

greater length and beam

reversed aircraft catapult and hanger positions

more separation between 'B' turret barbette and the face of the forward superstructure.

enclosed forward bridge rangefinder

taller funnel cowl, no platform, just searchlight stands with retractable weather guards

-And of course as soon as I send this message I will remember other changes.

But it is a lot like trying to convert Trumpy's CV 8 USS Hornet back to CV 6 USS Enterprise. Yes, they were sister ships, but the differences will have you grinding your teeth.
redalb2253
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC
I should start taking pictures of my build, Just started the Hipper with the Pontos models wood deck, I'll try to get some on here.
Removed by original poster on 04/01/12 - 00:17:24 (GMT).
redalb2253
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 05:29 PM UTC
I wasn't going to go all out on this ship but it just won't feel right if I don't. Waiting on more PE and barrels then I should be set this will be my first waterline Dio so bare with me.
 _GOTOTOP