_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Signal Barrel 40mm gun on destroyers
anthony14rmg
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 49 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hello all
Did the U.S. Destroyers in world war 2 have single barrel 40mm AA gun or just dual 40mm. I have looked around the web but could only find pictures of the dual mount 40mm. I am looking to convert the Italeri 1/35 scale 40mm towed version into a ship mounted version.

Thanks
Grant
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Model Shipwrights: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 03:56 AM UTC
Are you doing a 1/35 destroyer? What size would that be?
anthony14rmg
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 05:43 AM UTC
Well I want to build a gun platform with the 40mm kit. Bronco has a good kit and I think I can use warriors 1/35 PT crew to man the gun. But to answer your question no not a whole Destroyer just one AA gun platform.

Grant
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hello Grant, I'm not sure, but I don't think US Destroyers used a single mount for the 40mm. The single mount was used on smaller combatants and landing craft, such as an LST or LSM. Al
anthony14rmg
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the information, I saw a few pictures tonight of a landing ship with the single barrel 40mm. I guess its time to start thinking how this will work.

Grant
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hello Grant, I just remembered, they were also mounted on the conning tower of the Gato class US submarines. Some boats carried one gun mounted either fore or aft on the tower, some boats carried two guns, fore and aft. How ambitious are you feeling? Al
johncpo
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 08:13 PM UTC
Greetings,

As a Navy Chief Petty Officer (Gunner's Mate) I can identify with that question. Go to www.warboats.org / or Navy patrol boats of WWII as I served on a PTF (Patrol, Torpeado, Fast) minus torpeados, this patrol craft was used extensively off the coast of Vietnam as a signal monitoring vessel, as well as having several at Coronado Amphibious base. The single barrel Bofors 40mm mount was a WWII surplus and mounted aft of the bridge. All mechanical controls were featured on this craft much like the PT boats of WWII. As with any post-WWII patrol boat from the late 60's on it was wood hull, with fiberglass and plywood bridge making the displacement at about 86 tons.
Any further details, feel free to drop me a note here.

Happy building,
johncpo
 _GOTOTOP