_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
The Day That Will Live in Infamy
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 04:58 AM UTC
I once asked a fellow worker if he knew what happened on December 7. His reply was, "D-Day?". It seems that the number of people who remember Pearl Harbor is steadily becoming smaller and smaller. Sad. Al
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC
I agree with you Al...very sad indeed. But in our "It's all about me" society, there are very few that know anything about American history. Just watch " Jay Walking" sometime on the Tonight Show. My Dad is a WW II veteran and is occasionally asked to go and speak to schools and colleges. Soon they will all be gone. I just hope that when the last WW II veterans pass, there will be people that will continue to carry on the memory of what they did and sacrificed so we can be free.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Model Shipwrights: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:51 AM UTC
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Sometimes I think the line is more an indictment of the American educational system than Bluto's intelligence.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 05:38 PM UTC
That is sad guys, I reckon you could ask most Aussies and they'd have a pretty good idea about Pearl Harbour.

No so sure it really was a day that will live in infamy, but the fleet was certainly caught with their pants down.

70 years is a long time but I certainly remember the sacrifices made on that day.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 05:42 PM UTC
Seems that the knowlage of history has been replaced by tecnology do dads. Many young people tend to think of self pleasure and what they can get out of life. Four stepsons and one daughter, most don't even know what is going on in the world today let alone the past. I just hope that the saying ( those who forget, are doomed to repeat ) dosen't come back and bite us. No wonder that it's the same ole same ole crap with the way things are going. Seems nobody really cares anymore, but some where there are some of us who continue to tell the stories and hopefuly some one is listening.
 _GOTOTOP