_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
gun turret and missile launcher warning track
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 10:58 PM UTC
My local Hobbytown was having a clearance of everything they had that had been sitting on their shelves for over a year. I grabbed up some goodies to add to my "things to do" closet, and a neat little Dragon 1/700 Type 42, Batch 3 DDG with HMS Manchester pictured on the boxtop.
Might any of you fellow former and/or current naval persons out there have any tricks up your sleeves on how to go about placing the warning track decal circles for the forward 4.5" gun turret, twin Sea Dart launcher, and aft helicopter landing pad marker without the things wadding up into a hopeless piece of junk whenever they catch a whiff of water, let alone try and position the things into an actual circle on the deck?
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 11:26 PM UTC
Blue Bear:
I know exactly what your talking about with those safety lines had a few wad up on me myself.
There is a couple of solutions out there though.
One is to draw the circle on the deck where decal will go with a pencil in a compass or a pair if calipers and slightly scribe a line. Use theses marks to guide the decal into a circle if you using as little water as possible.
Another technique I have done is to trace the decal over a piece of frisket or other stencil type making material. Cut out the pattern and place it on the deck and paint the appropriate colors on the deck.
Now the first two techniques above you need the decal. If the decal is already gone and wadded up like alot of mine have been. You can take the compass draw one circle on the deck. Then take the compass using the same radius and draw a cirlce on the stencil material. adjust the compass to a radius so the second cirlcle will show how wide you want the stripe and draw your second circle on the deck and stencil. Then place the stencil down and paint it directly on the deck.
This is alot of work but with a sharp knife and alot of luck can be done quickly and the results look great.
I have done the about for the safety line you described and also the stripes on the flight decks of carriers
I know it is wordy and as early as it is I hope it makes sense. If it doesn't drop me a line and I can answer any questions you may have and try to clear it yp for ya.
Good luck can't wait to see her. Hope this helped
Paul
 _GOTOTOP