_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
USS Hornet August 1942
greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi all, I don't normally build 1/350 scale ships; however, one of my wife's friends asked me to build a 1/350 scale model of the USS Hornet for her 25th wedding anniversary. Her husband bought the ship and a few aircraft sets several years ago. His spouse wanted me to build a clean display version of the model and also asked if I could come up with an idea that would make it "a little different and special". With that guidance I got to work. Based on the aircraft kits I decided to show the Hornet as she looked circa August 1942.

The kit built into a nice model, but I have admit that making the masks for the camo scheme was A LOT of work - and I'll not be doing that again anytime in the near future! There are a total of 30 aircraft and I ended up putting 300 decals in total on them. Surprisingly I rather enjoyed that little job, though it took some time. I decided to show most of the aircraft readied and spotted on deck for a strike. Five of the planes went into the hanger. That was the "different and special" part of the build my wife's friend asked for. I opened the covers on the starboard side of the forward hanger deck and positioned the 5 planes inside. I wired a couple of small lights to the bottom of the flight deck to provide light giving a pretty neat effect.

My wife's friend looked at the finished product last night and was so pleased and excited that she surprised me giving me a hug and kiss. Good thing she wasn't too excited; who knows where that would have gone!!

Enjoy the pictures,
Ernest

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
Very nice work,I like the lighted hanger
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2011 - 06:10 AM UTC
Outstanding work. Very nice, clean build. The idea of the LED lights in the hangar deck is brilliant! I have Hornet and I'm hoping to get started on her this winter. I have the hangar deck PE set and your use of LEDs has inspired me. I think I'll try that myself. Congratulations on a first rate build of a great ship and thanks for the inspiration!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP