_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Titanic?
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 255 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 03:10 AM UTC
So honestly, how many of you have hauled out Titanic kits to get going on them, since the 100th Anniversary coming up? I have the Minicraft 1/350 kit (of course) from 1999, "accurized and improved" with the photo etch railings, etc. included and am seriously thinking of postponing all the campaign builds I should be working on and building this.

Just wondered if I was alone or how many others are tempted about this as well.

Michael
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So honestly, how many of you have hauled out Titanic kits to get going on them, since the 100th Anniversary coming up? I have the Minicraft 1/350 kit (of course) from 1999, "accurized and improved" with the photo etch railings, etc. included and am seriously thinking of postponing all the campaign builds I should be working on and building this.

Just wondered if I was alone or how many others are tempted about this as well.

Michael

I got the Academy 1/400 Limited Edition kit, but have no intention of building it for the anniversary. Have a few in front of it.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 04:18 AM UTC
Warren, I'd love to see what you will do with Titanic. After seeing you work on the Showboat you'd probably make Bruce Ismay jealous. Like you, she isn't at the top of my build list, but I'm debating building her as a birthday gift to my mother. At 79 she is, thank God, still in good health and mentally alert and is extremely interested in the Titanic. She has been a big supporter of me getting back into ship modeling, which I did a lot as a kid. Several of the kits in my stash are there by virtue of her largesse at gifting times. Seems a very small thing to do for someone who has been so supportive of me for the 55+ years I've been walking this earth. So, a Hornet or a Missouri may have to wait till next winter while I make a small repayment of a debt I can never repay.

Bob
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 01:53 PM UTC
I'v got my 1/400 Titanic Premium Edition from Academy at home sitting under my bed because of college

maybe this summer or next year though!

-Andrew
17thVa
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
got the acadamy 1/350--1997/1998--gmm photoetch, figures too--then I saw that they corrected it--dont know if mine is flawed enough to start
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Warren, I'd love to see what you will do with Titanic. After seeing you work on the Showboat you'd probably make Bruce Ismay jealous. Like you, she isn't at the top of my build list, but I'm debating building her as a birthday gift to my mother. At 79 she is, thank God, still in good health and mentally alert and is extremely interested in the Titanic. She has been a big supporter of me getting back into ship modeling, which I did a lot as a kid. Several of the kits in my stash are there by virtue of her largesse at gifting times. Seems a very small thing to do for someone who has been so supportive of me for the 55+ years I've been walking this earth. So, a Hornet or a Missouri may have to wait till next winter while I make a small repayment of a debt I can never repay.

Bob

Go for it Bob!
 _GOTOTOP