_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Creating (light)realistic shell holes in ship
DUKWsinarow
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 01:05 PM UTC
I just received a model of the Glencoe ‘Oregon’ that I ordered off e-bay and which I intend to transform into the ‘Iowa’ as she appeared March 22, 1923 during her service as a radio controlled target ship (see attachment).

As you can see, there are many shell holes, created by the 14-inch guns of the USS Mississippi. As a matter of fact, I can count six such holes in this side of the ship alone.

I was wondering if any of you could suggest how I might create these holes without adding too much weight to the model as I plan to RC this ship.

If possible, I want to re-create the deformation of the hull that would accompany a shell strike without adding too much weight to the model.

As for watertight integrity, I intend to cap off the inside of the shell holes with black painted capped plastic pipes.

Thank you in advance for your assistance…

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/010446.jpg
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 02:27 AM UTC
Hello Tyler, The best method I know is to first thin down the plastic in the area that you want to show damaged, from the inside. I use a small grinding bit in a Dremel tool myself. Then depending on what kind of 'damage' you wish to portray, you can use a sharp knife to puncture and tear the plastic or you can use a the point of a small nail, or a large needle, or pin, to make rounder holes.
Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 02:42 AM UTC
Depends on the scale of the model although it must be pretty big if you're going to R/C it. As Al said thin down the inside and use a pointy thing that approximates the diameter of the shells in that scale - like a nail.
 _GOTOTOP