_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Lion Roar
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
Lion Roar just released a Super Detailing set for Z Class destroyers - the same set is supposed to fit both Dragon and Trumpeter kits. In my opinion and experience no good can come from accessories which are supposed to fit two different manufacturers models; especially when the manufacturers don't agree on the dimensions! More to the point, Great Models has it listed at US $156!! That equals the cost of 3 Dragon models or 4 Trumpeters! I have seen full detail sets reach the cost of the kit itself, but this is really over the top! Is the brass gold plated or something!
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 05:01 AM UTC
LionRoar's upgrade sets are definitely set at top shelf prices. One for the U.S.S. Missouri (Tamiya 1/350) I saw for over $200.00, twice what I paid for the kit! They are comprehensive, but unless you are a real expert with PE (they usually also include resin and brass barrels, so take that into account), I'm not sure they are worth it for the average modeler. FlyHawk is just about as expensive. If they aren't careful they may price themselves out of the market!

Bob
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 05:44 PM UTC
I was lucky and got 4 sets for half price. I haven't used one yet but I will report on them when I use them.
I agree with your thoughts about there being no way that one set can cover two different company's kits. You could but the full set of Trumpeter Z Class destroyers for the price of one of these sets!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
I chose Flyhawks P/E set for Prinz Eugen over Lion Roar's not only because it was a bit cheaper but it also included turned barrels. The price did not bother me much as it was only slightly more expensive than the kit itself. But if it had been in the $200 - $300 price range I certainly would have gone a more cheaper route. Lion Roar for DML Scharnhorst seems to be a real steal as it's still cheaper than the model!
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
I will add that the two LionRoar super upgrade sets I've bought, one for the Italieri P.T. 596 kit and the other for the Tamiya U.S.S. Missouri (1/350) are very comprehensive. Not only PE, but also turned brass barrels and resin parts. You do get a lot for your money, but I have to say that paying almost $200.00 for the Missouri set, twice what I paid for the kit, did hurt. Good thing the C-in-C hasn't found out what I shelled out for that. Talk about being in the dog house! I like the quality of LionRoar's products, as I do FlyHawk's, but I can't afford to upgrade every kit I buy like that. I just pick and choose the ones I really want to trick out.

Bob
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I chose Flyhawks P/E set for Prinz Eugen over Lion Roar's not only because it was a bit cheaper but it also included turned barrels. The price did not bother me much as it was only slightly more expensive than the kit itself. But if it had been in the $200 - $300 price range I certainly would have gone a more cheaper route. Lion Roar for DML Scharnhorst seems to be a real steal as it's still cheaper than the model!

Strange.. my LionRoar set for the Prinz Eugen has turned barrels for all the guns and I got mine for half-price..
I have the Flyhawk set for the Kongo and it will be interesting to see how the Flyhawk and LionRoar compare.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...In my opinion and experience no good can come from accessories which are supposed to fit two different manufacturers models; especially when the manufacturers don't agree on the dimensions!....

I'd tend to disagree. In the past it has been quite common to manufacture generic sets that would fit a whole class of ships, regardless of the maker. Classic manufacturers like GMM and WEM have tons of these. It has been a trend of the past few years to release a separate set for each new release in the market to fit even the tiniest difference with a coat of PE. Of cause one cannot expect that every aspect is addresses in such a generic set. Furthermore it is to be expected that some skill will be needed in some cases to make the parts fit. But then, the sets are not meant for the beginner anyway.
I do have the destoryer set sitting on my shelf and appreciate the upcoming challenge to use.

Happy modelling!

Guido
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 04:49 AM UTC
Having gotten well into my build of Italieri's P.T. 596 with the LionRoar upgrade set I can say at this point that its worth every penny. Plus, the PE is nice and robust, not too soft and likely to break if bent more than once. I'm sure to a point that is due to the scale, but I also just finished the Revell P.T. 109 kit with WEM PE and their brass was nowhere near as robust as the LionRoar set is. Now that I'm into the build I'm glad I made the investment in the LionRoar upgrade, it adds a lot to the kit.

Bob
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC
I have purchased a handful of LR "super sets" from LuckyModels. Their prices are almost half of other online stores (CONUS and USA $); moreover, they have sales in Nov-Dec which includes LR sets and additional 10-30% off.

Examples: Missouri superset for tamiya = 260 $USA at GreatModels; LuckyModels 163$ free shipping.

Z-class destroyer set = 89$ USA

LuckyModels also has Flyhawks at floor prices. The only other online vendor I have seen with competitive prices in the LR/Griffon/FH PE area is FreeTime Hobbies.

LM also sells Pontos Model brand at bottom prices; the HMS Dreadnough superset is 90$ USA and includes 4 PE sheets, all brass barrels/rods, resin parts, wooden deck, even an anchor chain

HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 137 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 12:13 PM UTC
I have worked extensively with Lionroar sets, and yes, retailers don't give them away. In Lionroar's defence, their surface etching detail is remarkable(!) and I have never had a piece not fit perfectly. Good engineering is worth the price I think. With considerable pressure on the Chinese to raise the value of their currency, their products, along with Flyhawk, could easily rise in price again due in no fault to themselves.

In regards to justifying the price of PE sets against the kit themselves.... in general for me, the time spent with the brass easily exceeds the time I have with the plastic by a factor of 3 or more. In a hour by hour hobby-time-consumed comparison with styrene, its not that bad really.

Hasegawa also makes some nice etch (or has somebody do it for them, I don't know) and the cost of their sets is also extremely high. Currency valuations play a role sometimes I think.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 04:10 AM UTC
I'm inclined to agree. Over all if I use PE on a build, and I do on almost all of them, I spend a great deal more time dealing with the PE than the plastic. I've always thought that even though $100.00 + for a kit might seem excessive, if you break it down on an hour by hour entertainment basis, its one of the best entertainment buys you can find. Same for PE. Plus, a good PE set, well engineered, adds a great deal to the final result.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP