_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Finished: HMS Onslow
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 10:25 AM UTC
Heres my recently finished HMS Onslow. I used the Tamiya 1:700 O-Class Destroyer kit straight from the box, although I did add a couple of resin depth charge launchers. Weathering was done with Mig pigments dark rust. I may have overdone this a little, I usually only weather tanks and this was the first ship I'd built for some time. I made the seascape from thick cooking foil crinkled up and then painted with thick acrylics. A little dry-brushing and stippling with thick white acrylic made the bow wave, wake and foam on the surface. I wanted it to look like it was sailing at speed into action. Afterwards I gave it a good couple of coats of Klear.
Any comments and suggestions are welcome. I think this build has given me the bug for waterlines as I now have quite a few more in the stash since starting

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 02:12 AM UTC
Stephen,

That's a beautiful build of a less than perfect model I remember giving up on years ago (had the original Skywave version of the kit). I especially like your rust effects. Great job!

Tim
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 04:41 AM UTC
Thanks Tim. It is a very simple kit and could do with a lot of improving or even a complete retool by Tamiya. I'm more than happy with it and I wanted to concentrate on the painting and base more than anything. I learned a lot from it that will be helpfull when I come to do some of the larger and more expensive ship kits I've since bought.
 _GOTOTOP