_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HELP: Airfix HNoMS St Albans
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 04:58 AM UTC
I need a little help making sense of the awful instructions Airfix provide with their boxing of the Mirage HNoMS St Albans. I'll cut to the chase, they're bloody awful, looking like poor quality photo-copies and not of the usual clear set. I also have the HMS Montgomery and they are just as bad.
I need help with the locations of many of the smaller parts around the bow, in particular how are the anchors supposed to attach? And where would chains from the anchors go if I were to add those? The easiest solution would be scans of the original Mirage instructions (if anyone has that boxing) or photos of finished models. I also have questions about the colour scheme. The instructions say to paint the hull HU 144 Intermediate Blue with HU 77 Navy Blue disruptive pattern, while the decks are HU 64 Light Grey. Something about that doesn't look right to me, and the box art has light grey and blue with darker decks. So have the printers mixed up paint numbers?
Besides from that the kits are fantastic and I've got Mirage's ORP Wicher on order.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hi all,
doing a bit of looking around the internet I came across a photo of St Albans in a very different camouflage scheme than that in the kit. I think its better looking and its good to deviate from the instructions sometime.
What are everyones thoughts on the colours used? Mostly blues and greys with a couple of black stripes and white 'wake'?
 _GOTOTOP