_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Rigging question
miccon
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 11:00 AM UTC
in the booklet that came with model, it says to just use normal spool of sewing thread, but the decals for the flags that fold around it seem to have a bigger-then needed gap after you fold it around thread

is that normal, or should i try to modify decals,
or use a larger 'guage' thread/string??
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 03:27 PM UTC
There are many different thicknesses of sewing thread. What scale is the model you are building? Personally when using decal flags, I first spray primer on a piece of aluminum foil and apply the decal to the foil. Then I cut out the flag and wrap it around the rigging using a little super glue. Using the foil stiffens the 'flag' and allows me to put folds in the flag to simulate waving.

I hope this helps. Al
miccon
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 05:16 PM UTC
thanks for the idea with the foil

its the revell1:350 Bismarck ive built, the rigging/ flags are last thing to do.
TalbertDunn
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 03:52 PM UTC
How about handrails? I use sewing thread for my rigging but always want to create handrails. Is there an easy technique for someone just starting to work to that much detail? I have been building 1:700 scale kits from Dragon. Excellently detailed kits for their size, adding the railings I believe will set them yo a new level.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 06:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about handrails? I use sewing thread for my rigging but always want to create handrails. Is there an easy technique for someone just starting to work to that much detail? I have been building 1:700 scale kits from Dragon. Excellently detailed kits for their size, adding the railings I believe will set them yo a new level.

You could always get a set of P/E railing.
 _GOTOTOP