_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Monogram UDT
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
I've built the Elco, MAS, Seehund, and Maiale, and am currently working on the Vosper, all in 1/35. Just for the 'Halibut', I decided to take a small trip down memory lane and post some pictures of the 'grandaddy of them all', The old Monogram UDT LCP(R). I built this kit for the first time way back in 1965 (yeah, I'm that old). This one was built about twelve years ago. I added a lot of extra stuff and modified some of the figures, a 1st for me at the time. I still like the way it turned out, and I hope some of you do too.

This was a fun build. I know it isn't the most accurate kit and it shows its age, but I still have a fondness for it. It maintains a place of honor on my shelf next to its newer, 'better', siblings. Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:34 PM UTC
One of my favorite kits as a kid.
Got one in the stash, for a build after I retire.
You did a great job on it Al.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 02:57 PM UTC
Thanks Dave, it was always one of my favorites too. I was glad when it was eventually re-released, so I could get one again, without having to pay collector prices. Al
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 05:37 AM UTC
I have no criticism of your build which is very neat, but would a boat that small have a ship's bell?
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 11:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no criticism of your build which is very neat, but would a boat that small have a ship's bell?

To tell the truth, I don't know, the kit came with the bell. I do know that some ships' boats do have a bell. Al
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 01:24 AM UTC
Very nice work, Al. I also enjoy building some of the old kits I built as a kid, this time doing it "right" with the bells and whistles. I recently completed a build of the old Revell P.T. 109 kit with the WEM PE set. I must have built that kit a half dozen times as a kid, but nothing like what I produced this time. Its neat to go back to the golden oldies we built as kids and do them with the skills we have acquired over the years and the after market goodies available now.

You said you'd built the Elco. I assume you are talking about the Italieri Elco. I just got started on her myself. I've been taking a break to complete a couple of other projects I had on hold waiting for some after market to come in, but I'll be getting back to her soon. I'd love to see some pictures of your build of her. Right now I'm just at the stage of getting ready to apply the Gator's Mask and do her camouflage.

Once again, great job on that old UDT.

Bob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 03:12 AM UTC
Thanks Bob, and yes, it was the Italeri Elco that I was talking about, although I also have built Revell's PT-109 many times. I don't know if you are aware of it, but Italeri is releasing the 109 in 1/35 scale. I don't know if I will be able to resist adding it to my 'flotilla'. Here are a couple of pics of my Elco.

She may not be 100% accurate, but I like the way she looks. Al
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 02:04 AM UTC
Al, your 596 looks great. Like you, I don't care if the result is 100% accurate. I'll leave that worry to the rivet counters. If it is a good general representation of the subject, that's good enough for me. I hope my Elco turns out looking half has good as yours did!

I'm familiar with the 103 Class Elco Italieri is supposed to be bringing out. Like you, I'll have to add her to my stash. A 103 Class boat together with the 596 would make a great display, don't you think?

Thanks for posting those pictures of you Elco.

Bob
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 02:50 AM UTC
[Quoted text] I'm familiar with the 103 Class Elco Italieri is supposed to be bringing out. Like you, I'll have to add her to my stash. A 103 Class boat together with the 596 would make a great display, don't you think?

Then we just have to wait for Italeri to combine the hull from the '109' with the weapons fit from the '596', throw in an early radar, and we'll have a mid-war boat also. Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Nice work on the UDT. I'd like to see a new versions of this along with the LCP (L) and LCP (R) and of course a new LCA in 1/35 scale.

I finally sorted out some decal markings for the boats, so a replacement operation will have to be undertaken.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP