_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
WW2 ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 11:11 PM UTC

IJN Heavy Cruiser Oyodo by warship, on Flickr
This is the heavy cruiser Oyodo, while obviously out of WW2 I can't help imagine the same structure as a modern ship especially the hanger
I finished this some time ago (long boring story) and only now getting to post, this took over a week to finish from getting it out of the box, cutting up fine line for the mast ''X'' and a little scratch build on the hanger itself, its a nice little model with so little to go wrong.

IJN heavy cruiser Oyodo by warship, on Flickr

Shimokita Ohsumi 153 by warship, on Flickr
Throughout the WW2 there were many ships of the IJN that you could point a finger at and say, that's an advanced ship for its time, no aircraft carrier ? Strip off a battleship super structure, not enough main weapons on a carrier, let's have a battleship carrier, cargo, oiler ? we have sail ships convert them, dare I say the Japinese never had the same high spect naval crew as we had, no radar and a very large sea, you'll need your aircraft, what better protection then a battleship that's also part aircraft carrier, sadly in my view none of these were ever used as intended.

Shimokita Ohsumi 143 by warship, on Flickr
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi Alec,

Can see what you ,mean, particularly regarding the hanger area, loose the cat and the AA and you have stern of a modern destroyer, well almost.

The Japanese did design some very good looking cruisers, sleek elegeant and purposeful, and in style a bit ahead of their time.

Si
 _GOTOTOP