_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
rigging materials
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC
Just wondering what materials are favored for rigging 1/350 warships (WWll - modern). In the past I've used thread or fishing line and know now they are far too thick to be realistic. Recently I've used stretched sprue with better results but find it difficult getting consistent results with the diameter. I thought of this idea and am throwing it out there for comments: the fibres from cheapie Haloween long-hair wigs. The 'hair' seems to be made of monofilament nylon or poly- something fibres. One wig would provide enough rigging for a lifetime of model ship-building! Has anyone tried this already?
s4usea
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
I use fly fishing line for tying flies. Caenis (sp?) is available down to .0045 and it goes up from there.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
That's good. Thanks. Any more suggestions or comments? I know stretched sprue is the material of choice for a lot of modelers as it is free and can be taughtened with application of heat. I find the trouble with heating areas with multiple rigging lines is that some will tighten a litle more than others causing bending of the mast, or other lines becoming slack, or even lines becoming too tight and popping off. I will look for finer fishing line in a specialty sporting store.
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 01:13 AM UTC
You might also consider fly fishing tippet material. The higher the number, the finer the line. 7X would be more than fine enough for halyards in 1/350. Available in any store that carries fly fishing supplies and cheaper than caenis thread.

Bob
ghauser
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might also consider fly fishing tippet material. The higher the number, the finer the line. 7X would be more than fine enough for halyards in 1/350. Available in any store that carries fly fishing supplies and cheaper than caenis thread.

Bob

Would you use superglue for the fishing line?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 07:43 AM UTC
I picked up a spool of Scientific Anglers 6X. It's almost invisible to my old eyes - I have to use the strongest available reading glasses to see what I'm doing anyway! It doesn't say what the line is made of, but it seems to be a nylon or poly-something monofilament, so I would certainly use super glue. The only downside I can see is that the line has to be painted the appropriate color as it is clear.
s4usea
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 01:26 PM UTC
I use gum arabic to secure rigging.
ghauser
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I picked up a spool of Scientific Anglers 6X. It's almost invisible to my old eyes - I have to use the strongest available reading glasses to see what I'm doing anyway! It doesn't say what the line is made of, but it seems to be a nylon or poly-something monofilament, so I would certainly use super glue. The only downside I can see is that the line has to be painted the appropriate color as it is clear.

How are you going to paint something that thin, and how do you know what color to paint the rigging? I have seen people use gray, white, and black rigging and I never know why a particular color is chosen.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
Painting is easy - just run the brush along one side of the line. Since the line is pretty well transparent the color will show through to the other side. The color will depend on whether the line is rigging or antenna cable. I think dark gray for rigging and light grey for antenna cable is sufficient. Are their other opinions for color?
 _GOTOTOP