_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
REVIEW
Encore Models USS Olympia
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 02:34 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

Join me for an in box review of the new release from Encore Models, the USS Olympia

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 08:38 PM UTC
This was a great review, while this is an old model re-issued along with a full etch kit, many of the plastic parts are sadly over scale, such as the rudder and many other parts, I believe with TLC this could be built into a stand by itself model and still look good, even better as a water-line
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 02:14 PM UTC
I agree that the chunky plastic parts are a turnoff. The additional parts included in the fully loaded kit option really help out the looks and I'm sure that with a little scratchbuilding that most of us can remedy the oversized parts. I'm still debating on saving up for this kit just for the cause, but I feel it's a worthy investment if you live stateside. I'd love to volunteer on restoring the old girl if I could.
DieselDog
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC
Several experienced modelers and I opened up this kit when it came out and examined it in detail. Everyone agreed with your assessment. Even if you currently build in a specific scale--1/700 or 1/350 for example--this kit is a worthy addition to any collection. It stands on its own merit for what it is as a kit, and what it represents, as history. I would also add that at 99 bucks it is a heck of a bargain.
 _GOTOTOP