_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/50 French Surcouf
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
Good day all
I have a strange request: I have a 1/50 scale French Submarine Cruiser on its way and I am trying to find a model of Besson MB-411 airplane that was carrried in a hanger on this Sub. It was used as a spotter for the 2 203mm guns. Now I know I wont find a 1/50 scale plane , but a 1/72 I can scale up.
This is a Radio controlled submarine. this sub was a one of its kind and was sunk under mystry in 1942 and at its time it was the largest sub until the Jap I-19 any help would be wonderful,
Thanks Jim
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 09:52 AM UTC
Hi Jim!

Well, looking over images of the MB-411, the good news is it's a boxy design with straight, plank wings, so scratchbuilding one to 1:50 should not be a chore. As for making one flyable, that's another story.

--Karl
Teaker11
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 962 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply, She would be display only as the sub had to surface and a crane set up, plane removed from watertight hanger assembled and the lowered into the water. all the history that I have found so far I dont beleive that the plane was used as a spotter for the guns. This sub spent most of its time in port being refitted as there were a lot of problems. before she was sunk with all hands
Thanks
Jim
 _GOTOTOP