_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Heller Imperail Roman Bireme
cptan
Visit this Community
Puchong, Malaysia
KitMaker: 92 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 09:24 PM UTC
Guys,

Here is my another clean work bench project.... long over due since ages....
A Imperail Roman Bireme (warship).... Note that a bireme have 2 rows of rowlers at each side. While akit from Zvezda is a Trireme which is much bigger and character with 3 rows of rowlers at each side. This is a old Heller kit stated 1/60 scale, but I put 1/72 scale figure on it. Academy kit sails was salvage to use in this model. The rowler figures is from Orion Roman sailor, and the legionaire on deck is from Ceaser. Enjoy....

Notice the bulu (hairy) came out of the string I used for rigging. I'll paint the rigging latter to hide them.

Below deck is the 52 rowlers. All 26 rowlers at one side seated in 2 rows. A note of clarification, on my research while on this project, It's stated in history that Roman Warship are men by professional sailors. Meaning these rowlers are not "SLAVES" as dipicts in Holywood movies classic Ben-Hur. These rowlers can fight up deck when needed.

Here is a full view of 10 Imperial Roman Legionaires stand guard on deck

Note the single tribunus (officers) with muscle armour and red cloak took from Hat stand inspecting the legionaires and the 2 ship steering men.

At last the Ceaser legionaire shows wearing the famous Lorica Segmenta. U can see they are the most detail I came across for a 72 scale. And U can see the rowlers through the window.

The centurion (also from Ceaser)stand at the ship bow (front). And again the hairy rigging will be paint later....

Feedback and critiques are welcome....

CPTan
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hey CPTan, nice job on something so small. This is an impressive piece of work. Looks real good to me. For your rigging, try waxing your thread next time before you string it up. Just take a candle and holding your finger over the thread, pull it over the candle. This will insure the fraying stays down good. A tip I got from a model ship builder I met once. I have the old heller viking ship set and used that method, works well. Are there available set of figures for the viking ship from the co. you got yours from? Always looks better with figures on board. Yours came out very good.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 04:05 AM UTC
I totally agree. CPTan, that was an impressive effort, and the results show! Very well done.
Thanks for posting!
-Sean H.
cptan
Visit this Community
Puchong, Malaysia
KitMaker: 92 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 02:46 PM UTC
Bob,
There are !/72 Viking on the market:
Emhar Set 7218 Viking Oarsmen
Emhar Set 7205 Viking Warriors