_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
my first for 2012
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 07:11 PM UTC

Yang Wei 017 by warship, on Flickr
The Chinese Yang Wei protected cruiser is my first, but rushed build for 2012, I'll be on the move again soon, so wanted something to show for the last couple of weeks before I go off line on or after the 14th June, if you click onto the pic you should be able to open the link

Yang Wei 003 by warship, on Flickr
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 03:23 AM UTC
It looks like a very nice build,your water looks real convincing,but I have to say that I am not loving your smoke.I think it distracts from a great build.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC
thank you for the kind words, the cotton wool smoke was only resting in the funnel, I've never liked using it, but making anything that small look good is hard work, note the other pic without the smoke, the model measures 90mm in length, and it was a rush job due to me soon being off line, and I wanted something to show, its actually took about two weeks to build, which for me is a very long time building a plastic model.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 08:10 PM UTC
Looks good Alec, A really interesting little vessel.

Noble try with the smoke, it is a very tricky thing to do, and with a coal burner under way, to me they look wrong without it.

Got to pluck up the courage to have another try on my 1/350th HMS Kent 1914.

Si
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 - 08:45 PM UTC
I actually like the pre WW1 stuff but most of it is dreaded resin, just couldn't get on with that impossible hard material, get it right, and you'll have a wonderful model, get it wrong and its a nightmare lol.
With smoke from a ship underway, other then CGI or cotton wool (yuk) you're left displaying without smoke, I suppose there's two things on my wish list for some company to produce in the 1-700 range, 3-D figures and smoke that looks like smoke !
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:18 PM UTC
Agree with you on the smoke that looks like smoke, this is my first attempt. with the dreaded cotton wool. (the Kent will be my second)

I must admit for oil burners can convince myself, you don't always get great columns of smoke coming out of the funnel, but on a coal burner..... And when you are presenting the model in the plastic (or resin) well that is where CGI lets you down.

Si
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks like a very nice build,your water looks real convincing,but I have to say that I am not loving your smoke.I think it distracts from a great build.

I disagree, I think every modeler has the freedom of expression and this is his expression as to what the smoke would look like.

I think it all looks great, the water and the smoke! It IS a model so we should not expect REAL smoke.

~ Jeff
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I disagree, I think every modeler has the freedom of expression and this is his expression as to what the smoke would look like.

I think it all looks great, the water and the smoke! It IS a model so we should not expect REAL smoke.

~ Jeff

Ha,ha Point taken
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 08:28 PM UTC
You have a really nice job on this Al.....Cheers Mark
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 09:23 PM UTC
The same thing but with better light conditions, while cotton wool may not be everyone choice, there isn't a great deal other then CGI to use, you'd probably get away with it on the larger 1-35 scale but here with the 1-700 especially zooming in, there is much else you can use in this scale.

ICN Yang Wei 013 by warship, on Flickr put italicized text here
While this shows no yard arms, it is fully rigged, however, once again, you have to look into the model to see it, the rail are all 2 bar, and while the brass cannon are painted and in place, once again, very hard to see. With fingers crossed, the mistakes I have made with this model, will not go onto the next subject in the future

ICN Yang Wei 007 by warship, on Flickr
This kit comes with both etch and twin ships, this darker one and an off white, light grey.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
I often employ smoke in my projects. My approach goes like this:

1. I install an armature coming out of the funnel or where the smoke is discharging.

2. Using polyfibre, I attach it to the armature in expanding concentric bands starting
with the smoke's point of origin and apply a new and somewhat larger band as I
progress up the armature. Avoid pulling the cotton along the armature.

The result mimics the roiling effect actual smoke makes as it expands in the atmosphere. My features "Retribution" and "Greyhound and the Flea" use this method.

Good luck!

--Karl

_GOTOTOP