_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
First ship: 1/144 Gepard-Klasse Schnellboot
spcterry
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hi everyone!

New to the water side of modelling and I decided to start with a Revell 1/144 Gepard-Klasse (143A) Schnellboot. This thing has been a pain from the beginning with poor fit and lots of gaps to fill. I have a couple questions as well. The first one being: How do you remove bondo or putty from unwanted areas?

The second question refers to one of the pictures below which is a closeup of what looks to be some kind of drain port, would these be more accurate if I drilled them out to be hollow?

Thanks for the help and hopefully I do this kit some justice in the end!

spcterry
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 57 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 02:57 AM UTC
Well, I went and drilled out those ports, filled and sanded some more but I'm now putting it on hold pending acceptance into a group build on another forum. As soon as I get the nod I will resume building and updating here with pics of course.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 - 06:03 AM UTC
Joe,

Welcome to MSW shipmate! Looks like a fun build. Been thinking about adding that one to my stash.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 03:23 PM UTC
It's actually looking pretty good despite the poor fit issues that you've mentioned.
Regarding the bondo, is it actually bondo brand body filler? If it's the red stuff from the 3M/bondo tube, then it's pretty soft and you can gently scrape it off, or you can try cotton swabs with nail polish remover on them. I find the latter method works best on thin layers of bondo.
 _GOTOTOP