_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
NEWS
Revell's 1/96 Spanish Galleon
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 06:24 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates! Revell of Germany has announced the release of their 1/96 Spanish Galleon!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC
That is welcome news indeed
I have been out of ship modeling for awile, and this seems like a great project to get me started again.
Todd
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
She does look like a fun build doesn't she? I'm very tempted to pick one up myself
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 11:29 AM UTC
Just got a reply from Revell, they said its going to be released State side in the 4th quarter.
Watch on Squadron Online, they usually get new releasses quick.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 05:40 PM UTC
Yes, that's about the general flow of things. With luck, we'll be seeing these stateside in the next month. I really want to see how easy it is to rig one of these with they way the kit has been engineered to assist the rigging process.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 - 06:41 AM UTC
Plastic ratlines, no relation to any historical type of ship whatever.
Disney design film ship. Have one at the bottom of my stash.
Fun build though, built one about 35 years ago. Same ship, same molds, etc.
Julian
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC
You are right, this mold dates back to sometime around the 1960's if I remember correctly, and has been periodically released over the past years. While "Disneyfication" can be argued either way, Revell has not released their source for the plans they based this kit on to anyone's knowledge. The overall proportions and design are typical traits of many of the heavier Spanish Galleon designs. Unfortunately there isn't enough information out there to provide us with what is necessary to create accurate models of the many different types of Galleons that sailed the waters during their time. There have been many period drawing with elements of the designs found in this kit, but these drawings are generally not plans and open to the artistic interpretation of the hands that drew them. There are certainly concerns about the structural capabilities to support certain areas of the ship such as the bulky stern. Yes this kit is intended for modelers across the spectrum, and the ratlines, sails, and many other parts can easily be replaced with more suitable materials to make a nicer looking build than what is provided with the kit. While this is not an accurate representation of an actual known ship, of which there are few, it is a romanticized representation that captures the character of the great armada ships once used long ago just as the drawings of the time were often romanticized in such a manner.
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2012 - 07:55 AM UTC
Revell also released the English companion kit, which I got as a Christmas gift from my brother back in the mid 70's, "Elizabethan Man of War". Same hull etc, just had one more mast. I rebuilt the Spanish Galeon for my old 7th and 8th grade teacher. It was a fun rebuild and turned out pretty decent. I used Artisina Latina "Rope" for rigging, and overall it turned out quite nice. Sadly, no pics.
I wonder what the price tag on it will be. I have seen them on Ebay for around $100.00 or so.

Best
Mark
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 06:48 PM UTC
I got hold of the example in my stash about 6 years ago for 70 Euro's.
Julian
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 11:57 AM UTC
I think $100 is a bit steep as well, I'd wait for a better price when this hits the shelves.
 _GOTOTOP