_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Queen Elizabeth upgrades
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi, I have the Trumpeter1/350 kit for HMS Queen Elizabeth. Should I simply get the photo etch railings, or go for the full photo etch set available for the ship? the price is almost the same as the kit itself, and I hesitate, mostly because I dont have that kind of cash..advice?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC
You really don't NEED to get anything, but I personally like adding railing to the kits because they look funny without it. I would only go with the full set if you're really determined to make a serious competition build.

I'd also encourage you to start a build log here in the forums if you haven't thought about creating one yet. It would be great to see your work as it progresses
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 08:50 PM UTC
Go the whole hog Jim.. You know you want too.. Also, it extends the build -time out heaps so your $ per hour ratio gets better and better the more details you add!
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 - 11:31 PM UTC
decisions, decisions!...ok...heres a question..which is the better kit, Academy or Trumpeter....I've got the trumpeter kit , but to fit it out with all the bells and whistles is the same cash as buying a "premium edition" Academy kit...so, whats the path to take?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 03:57 PM UTC
It's a tough call. Trumpeter's molded details seem to be much more refined than Academy's, which makes it a superior core. It's going to take a bit of patience and will certainly be more expensive to locate and purchase the AM for the Trumpeter kit, but I believe the end result will be much better.
From an economical standpoint, the Academy premium edition may be good way to go. The PE set included in the premium edition isn't as comprehensive as the AM PE sets would be, but you do get a nice selection of metal barrels and a wooden deck set. Both of these will be a bit difficult to find for the Trumpeter kit.

The real question at this point is what do YOU really want to do?
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 11:37 PM UTC
I have weighed things out, and I took the plunge with the Academy Premium Warspite kit. I found it for a reasonable price, and yes, I do have the trumpeter kit now also, but I feel that through building the Academy kit, I can become sufficiently versed with not only the ships class, but the kits themselves.
Im curious to see what I can do with her...perhaps I will do the build on line here.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 07:59 AM UTC
Good luck Jim,

I also have the Acadamy Warspite, the standatd kit, and the Pontos detail set to go with it, Wood deck, Turned Brass barrels, and loads of etch and other bits and peices.

Would like to see a build log on yours, will do one on mine.... When I get round to her.

Si
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 07:16 AM UTC
I didnt go with the pontos upgrade, although it looked very enticing. I have opted to swing for the Master set for the Oerlikons, and am now considering my options for tackling those Pom Poms....any suggestions beyond the barrels by Master,anyone?
 _GOTOTOP