_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
rigging
johnmallam
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 98 posts
Model Shipwrights: 61 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 - 11:42 PM UTC
hello can anyone help this is my first model its 1/350 prince of wales i dont seem to be able to get the rigging right i cant use the plastic cant stretch it long or thin enough has anybody used any other material that look ok at the moment i have found some thin telephone cable that when the sheathing is stripped off isnt to bad thickness wise but is a bit stiff waiting to hear back thank john
s4usea
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 04:39 AM UTC
I use fly tying line. As in line used to tie flies for fishing,.

However, there's a good tutorial on stretching sprue here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v56/Livingston/Modelling%20Clips/?action=view¤t=StretchingSpruewithJimBaumann.mp4
RedDuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi John,

I use copper wire stripped out of old electrical cable, it is a little thick in 1/350th, but it is quite easy to handle.

I roll it straight with a steel rule on a hard surface, the long lengths like aerial runs will sag slightly, which they can do on the full size article.It also works for making tackles, coils of rope etc,

Si
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 - 07:39 AM UTC
hello you 2 guys thanks very much for your time also that tutorial makes it look so easy might have a few practice goes with that but will get some fly line all the best both of you speak again soon john
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2012 - 12:12 PM UTC
I got a product called EZ-line by Berkshire Junction from Free Time Hobbies. I think it was originally marketed for the model RR guys as electric lines, etc. It comes in 2 thicknesses: fine, and superfine. It's very stretchy so you can pull it slightly to glue it and it returns taught, but not too much so as to distort masts, etc.
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:14 AM UTC
hi biggles this stuff sounds like the answer to my problems just wondered do you have there web site address many thanks john
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi biggles this stuff sounds like the answer to my problems just wondered do you have there web site address many thanks john

http://www.berkshirejunction.com/

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/index.aspx
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 03:59 AM UTC
hello biggles ive just got some of the e-z line its just the job easy to use and it looks right thanks for the tip if any body else wants to get any i found a uk stockist its little cars i ordered it on thursday got it friday
 _GOTOTOP