_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Revell Flower Class Corvette Premium Edition
apalella
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 11:24 AM UTC
Does anyone know if this release is a limited run?

I just dropped ~$470 on my 1/200 Bismarck with a whole host of extras and I don't know if I can justify another $200 on this kit though I soooo badly want to!

Here's a link to the kit for anyone who hasn't seen it: http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2012/09/big-boat-from-revell-172-scale-flower.html

Happy modeling, Andrew
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hey Andrew, from what I see and remember, this up grade is a real up grade. I would be tempted if I didn't order the new P.T. boat from Italerie. Haven't built a ship model in a very long time but this is real ice looking. Any one who knows better can chime in because like I said, it's been many long years.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 05:06 PM UTC
Wondering if Revell is going to release the update set as a separate item so for those of us with the kit already have a set we can upgrade it with!
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wondering if Revell is going to release the update set as a separate item so for those of us with the kit already have a set we can upgrade it with!

May I suggest you go and review all the upgrades available on the Great Little Ships site. Basically you can upgrade almost every part of the ship. All you actually use from the kit is the hull and a few other pieces. One day I will get them all and do some more on my little grey corvette.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2012 - 09:18 PM UTC
After fluffing around for about 10 years over buying these sets I finally bit the bullet and ordered most of them. I will do some reviews on them when I get them.

Cheers
Warren
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 11:59 PM UTC
Great Little Ships HTH
apalella
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 04:46 AM UTC
The updates by Great Little Ships look fantastic, but I try to avoid massive PE update sets, as I am a full time college student, and only get time to work when I am visiting home. I can dream though, can't I?
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The updates by Great Little Ships look fantastic, but I try to avoid massive PE update sets, as I am a full time college student, and only get time to work when I am visiting home. I can dream though, can't I?

Mate, it has taken me thirty years or so to get around to STARTING to order the sets... I figure if I don't do it soon my little grey Corvette will still be sitting in its box in 10 years time.

Good luck with your studies Andrew.

Cheers
Warren
apalella
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hehehe I guess I have a 1/72 Flower class in my distant future then. Be sure to post updates when you get your sets!

I'm still wondering if the platinum edition wouldn't make a good Christmas present to myself (I earn all my own money)

Happy modeling!
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 08:32 PM UTC
I have a half-finished corvette sitting in the attic. It's big and having said that you have pretty much said it all. The detailing is very much state of art for 1970/80. The hull looks dreadful with huge clunky plates looking like someone went mad with the Lego,lots of flash and some very dodgy fit issues in places. I went the DJ Parkins route for some extra detailing. You can make a magnificent build of this model by using it as a base for every add-on you can get from "Great Little Ships". I don't think the "Platinum" edition will do much more than give you nice wooden decks at daylight robbery prices. Just my 2 cents
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 09:24 PM UTC
You are very correct Mr Sallows. I think a resin hull would be way too heavy in this scale so using the Matchbox one as a basis makes sense.
If I was you Andrew I would look on Ebay for an older, complete kit then spend the rest on DJ Parkins stuff. You will end up with a much better kit probably for not much more or less than the Platinum Revell one.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You are very correct Mr Sallows. I think a resin hull would be way too heavy in this scale so using the Matchbox one as a basis makes sense.
If I was you Andrew I would look on Ebay for an older, complete kit then spend the rest on DJ Parkins stuff. You will end up with a much better kit probably for not much more or less than the Platinum Revell one.

I dunno, the last couple I watched on Ebay both went for $600 plus just for the kit. Mind you they were first edition Matchbox kits, and not the older re-released Revell kit. Heck there was one on there where the guy had cut all the parts off the trees, and put them in little storage boxes, to reduce the space needed to store the kit, and it went for over $200.

Granted with the prospect of the kit being re-released, those Ebay prices are going to drop, but still at about $249 for the new kit, makes it a steal if you compare it to the prices the reg. kits have been fetching on Ebay.

Sure...the last time it was released, the kit was below $100....but that was also 20yrs ago (1989 or 1990 when it was last released I think?) can't expect the kit to be those prices today even if it was just a straight re-release of the kit without all the extras.

While the Great Little Ships stuff is nice, but pricy, and I don't really want to have to hack apart the kit I have (which is one of the Matchbox kits), when I can just add some PE detail, metal guns and a wooden deck to it to dress it up. I am sure many other people are in the same boat as I am.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hey Andrew, I think it might come down to how much $'s you want to or can spend. About $250 for the complete up graded newer kit as to how much you might spend on all The P/E and other stuff and shipping. You could always sand down the hull and rescibe it if it's as bad as people say.
 _GOTOTOP