_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
Ojibwa Help
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
Greetings fellow modellers!

A few weeks ago the submarine HMCS Ojibwa passed through the Welland Canal on its way to a museum on Lake Erie. I was fortunate enough to get quite a number of pictures of the sub and recently showed them to members of a local ship modellers club. One picture in particular of the sail caused quite a bit of speculation without any conclusion. This peculation raged rampant about the purpose of this feature and there was no resolution as to what it is (some form of stowage, hatch...?).

The feature/item is located on the lower rear Port side of the sail. I have created a composite image of the picture that raised the question and the insert image showing it blown up and enhanced. My question is, what is or could this "object" be or its purpose?

Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

Thanks and cheers,
Jan
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 05:41 PM UTC
Hello Jan,
My resources indicate that this is the battery exhaust vent.
Cheers,
Joe

Here is another photo of this detail:
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 04:21 AM UTC
@Grauwolf - Joe,

Thanks very much for your reply and it gave me something to search for. Your sources appear to be absolutely correct. I found what appears to be a training manual on Canadian Forces 'O' class submarines and it can be found HERE. In that "article" there is a diagram and this feature is referred to as the Master Outboard and indeed is for battery compartment ventilation.

From reading through part of this manual it appears that this feature was unique to the Ojibwa. Thanks again for the great help.

Cheers,
Jan
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 03:39 PM UTC
Hi Jan,
It appears that that training vessel HMS Olympus had a
similar feature but I cannot find it on any of the others
in the Oberon Class.