_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Revell 1/350 USS New Jersey
Dave_Ross
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 05:55 AM UTC
Comong along and nice photos, too. Was I right about the helipad? Is it moulded raised like I had read elsewhere?
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Comong along and nice photos, too. Was I right about the helipad? Is it moulded raised like I had read elsewhere?

You are 100% correct Dave, and I do not think it will be too hard to replicate with the Tamiya kit using styrene sheet. I am tempted to build the Tamiya one as USS Wisconsin, BB-64, using the marvellous Pontos set.. but that is a fair way down the build list at the second.
Thanks for pointing the raised deck out. I wonder if all four ships had the same modification? I think they just built the helipad over the existing structure.
Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Real nice build for an old kit! Keep up the great work.

Thanks heaps Thomas.
One very good thing about this build is that I have collected quite a bit of info for when I build my Tamiya New Jersey.
Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.
The struggle is over and I finally beat the kit into submission.. This one is totally OOB EXCEPT for the little bit of rigging I did. See if you can spot it..

I used fine copper wire for the two wires btween the aerials on the masts. Got 400m of it for about $10 I think and it is just the right thickness for 1/350. I used the finest piano wire I could find for the aerials and eight elements on that unusual aerial on the bow. Next one I will use even finer stainless steel wire I hope, but that is a few years off yet.
And as Porky Pig used to stutter in the classics, "Bd, bd , bd, That's all folks!"
Next up is a submarine for the Dive campaign and then, who knows.. Hood, Ticonderoga, Richelieu, Akagi, Graf Spee.. The list goes on and on and....
I made one of the Revell helicopters for the one in the photos, but I discovered I had a set of Trumpeter S-60Bs and I decided to make one of those for the ship. The fit in that tiny helicopter is 900% better than the New Jersey. Just to prove I am a sucker for punishment my Trumpeter 1/350 USS Enterprise, CVN-65, got here yesterday. Cost me a whole $38 from a store in China for a brand new kit over 1m long and it comes with all the gear necessary to motorize it if you want, including a gearbox to drive all four props together! I couldn't resist...

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 11:25 PM UTC
Excellent work on this Warren...congrats on the finish!! Love these!! Got the Mighty Mo on the shelf waiting to be beat up someday!! I keep seing buils like this, I just might have to dust her off!! Curious to the lcoation you nabbed the E from...got a friend looking to buy that baby and the price, like you said, you can't resist!!
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 02:14 AM UTC
Wwwooooowww very good and very rapid. I do not like The uss battleship but this one I remain a very sexy . A question?? Do not railings ??

Regards Daniel
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC

Nice one Warren,
according to your banner the next build will be a Chinese warship but you state that you are going for a sub for the dive build. You are a very busy Aussie.....................
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work on this Warren...congrats on the finish!! Love these!! Got the Mighty Mo on the shelf waiting to be beat up someday!! I keep seing buils like this, I just might have to dust her off!! Curious to the lcoation you nabbed the E from...got a friend looking to buy that baby and the price, like you said, you can't resist!!

Hi there Todd.
Thanks for that.
I got the Big E from Hobby-Space.com, http://hobby-space.com/Trumpeter-1350-80502-Aircraft-Carrier-US-Enterprise-P2406125.aspx. He packs all his kits with foam sheeting and then the cardboard box. Never had any damage with his kits.
I think it is one of the bargains of the century personally.. Hope it doesn't turn around and bit me on the butt!!!
Cheers mate
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wwwooooowww very good and very rapid. I do not like The uss battleship but this one I remain a very sexy . A question?? Do not railings ??

Regards Daniel

Hi Daniel.
There is an old saying here, you can polish a poo all you want but it is still a poo..
This is not a very accurate kit in many regards and I decided to build it totally OOB and not put any more money or effort into it. It will also be a good example of a kit with no enhancements to compare to the USS New Jersey and Missouri I build with all the enhancements.
The Flyhawk deluxe upgrade kit arrived the other day to build a WW2 Missouri from the Tamiya kit. Over 30 sheets of PE in it and lots of brass.
Then I plan to build the Wisconsin using the Pontos set and the Iowa later on. Basically I love the lines of these ships.

So as to your question Sir, no railings for this one.

Have a great day mate
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Warren,
according to your banner the next build will be a Chinese warship but you state that you are going for a sub for the dive build. You are a very busy Aussie.....................
Julian

There, is that better??
Yes you got me Mr Sallows. I just whipped that one up.
The sub should take only a few days then it will be on to the next project.
Cheers mate
Warren

"Keep the bastards honest".
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
It's your banner Warren so knock yourself out,
No skin off my nose.
cheers mate,
Julian
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 08:31 PM UTC
Great work Warren! You sure have made a silk purse out of a sow's ear so to speak! That's a well earned beer before cracking on with some of those massive PE detailing challenges you've got planned. Looking forward to seeing them be built!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work Warren! You sure have made a silk purse out of a sow's ear so to speak! That's a well earned beer before cracking on with some of those massive PE detailing challenges you've got planned. Looking forward to seeing them be built!

Thanks heaps for that Russell.But first a little break for a submarine.. literally a little break as the U-Boat is already awaiting painting!

Not sure which one will be next mate but I am pretty sure it will be a bit better kit than that one!

Cheers mate
Warren

surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 06:14 PM UTC
Considering what you had to work with Warren you have done a top notch Job on her.....Cheers mark
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 07:29 PM UTC
Thanks Mark. The less said about the Revell kit the better..
 _GOTOTOP