_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
VIDEO
Cracking the Box - PT109
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 10:21 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

Todd Michalak offers us a new cracking the box video of Italeri's new 1/35 PT-109.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 11:01 AM UTC
Todd, I must say ... you did a very good job on the in-box review of the kit ... a written review is "nice", but to actually see and hear a modeler talk about what it in "real time" is something else. Very nice review. Thank you.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 11:54 AM UTC
Thank you Mr. Connelly! Your kind words are most appreciated! I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope to have some more reviews like this in the future. I only wish I had a chance to pick up your book PT Boats in Action prior to the review. I might have to make this happen before the build!! Thanks again!
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:03 PM UTC
Well, if you'd like one, I may have a few surplus copies - if you'd like........ you can go to www.ptboatworld.com and click on CONTACT US.

Garth
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 01:27 PM UTC
Thanks Garth! just came back from there!!! E-mail sent!
ShawnM
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 01:35 PM UTC
great review and well done video, thank you!
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 02:36 PM UTC
Thank you for the kind words and for checking out the review Shawn!!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 03:44 PM UTC
Hey Todd, nice review. Couldn't really enjoy it because I can't get the sound to work on my daughters note pad, but the meaning was there. I P/U mine a few days ago, was not disappointed one bit. The only disappointment is that I wont be able to start her for awhile. Too much on the bench and it is one huge kit. But for anyone who is thinking of buying one, go for it, you'll love it. Now the research department is on over time and the purchasing agent is turning over every stone, or puddle to get all the goodies to get her ready for combat. Thanks again for the review. bob d.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 10:52 PM UTC
Your welcome Bob and thank you for the kind words. This is a great kit! I too have been trying to clear the bench to get this one to fit on it..LOL!!! Two or three more to go and this might be ready!!! I will have to keep an eye open for your build. Nice when you have two people building similar projects and seeing how they progress!!

FYI...I made a written review as well. Jim will be posting this most likely toward the end of the week....no sound required!
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Nice review Todd, you did that very well
Cheers,
Julian
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC
Thank you very much Julian!
madeinengland
Visit this Community
Roskilde, Denmark
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Todd, nice review. Couldn't really enjoy it because I can't get the sound to work on my daughters note pad, but the meaning was there. I P/U mine a few days ago, was not disappointed one bit. The only disappointment is that I wont be able to start her for awhile. Too much on the bench and it is one huge kit. But for anyone who is thinking of buying one, go for it, you'll love it. Now the research department is on over time and the purchasing agent is turning over every stone, or puddle to get all the goodies to get her ready for combat. Thanks again for the review. bob d.

In the interests of the freedom of information act, don't forget to let us all know what goodies you find and where you find them. I have this kit in the to do pile....

Ian M
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 - 02:31 PM UTC
Sorry for the late reply Ian!! No problem. Not sure if you noticed the build thread I started http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/202180&page=1

I am not to far into the hull and deck yet but there are one or two this cropping up...the raised section of deck around the topside and just moving onto the caps that cover the rear screws....their number is incorrect and show up on the 'correction-directions' sheet! Hope to see you break into yours soon!!
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 01:18 AM UTC
Hi Todd, just came across your review today. You did a great job picking out everything we've been talking about on the PTBoats.org site. Not sure if you noticed but we've been working with Italeri on an upgrade set which they just announced in their 2013 catalog. Thanks for posting it.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi Dave!! Thanks for checking out the review and the kind words!! You and the guys from PTBoats.org did a great job on the design assist for this kit! I started a build blog on this here a little while ago. Slowed up the other night as I misplaced a tiny part (That means I am a dope and lost it) One of the stand-offs for the prop shafts. Going to finish up the scratch of the new part tonight. Great news that Italeri is slated to release an AM kit for this. Any clues as to what is in there?
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 01:05 AM UTC
It was a pleasure for me and my friends to assist Italeri with this project. They were amazing to work with. The upgrade kit is designed to work with either their 109 or 596 model. The idea is to be able to make a later war version of the 109 kit (103 class boat) or backdate the 596 (PT-372 and later). No two of these boats were alike in the field and the crews were constantly making changes to their boats. This kit will help you with those changes. I don't know all the details yet but based on discussions and looking at their art work it appears that they will offer both masts and domes for the SO Radar which allows you to make a later war 103 class or backdate the 596 kit. They are providing Mk. XIII roll off torpedoes and racks as well as Mk. VIII torpedoes (used in the tubes). There's a shield for the aft 20mm Oerlikon if you want to make the boat coming out of the factory (most crews removed these). I'm also seeing a 40mm Bofors and correct life raft that most boats had. They're working out the details still but this promises to be an excellent addition to these kits. They are at Nuremberg Toy Fair right now. Hopefully in a month or two we'll have some more details. By the way I shared your video with them and they were quite pleased. Thanks again for an excellent and fair review.
TRM5150
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:36 PM UTC
Thanks Dave for the information and the kind words on the review. Sorry for the delay in response...you know time is a commodity around here and with this storm we just got...yeah, you get the picture! I am looking forward to seeing the AM soon! Nice to have options. As you know I am building her right now. The 109 was actually not my first choice but thought it was fitting with the History and all and I am looking forward to weathering this one!!

Just about ready to add the armor in the bridge area. Also masked off the hull and will be starting some painting tomorrow! Working my way up!

Thanks for sharing the video too...makes me happy they were pleased as well!

Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 257 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 08:41 AM UTC
This post was removed.
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 257 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC
that was a grate film it should be on a vidio