_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
new jersey guns
johnmallam
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 98 posts
Model Shipwrights: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 03:09 AM UTC
happy new year everyone.just wondered does anybody know of a web site that shows you how to swop over the main guns on uss ,new jersey .i have the 1/350 scale model and have brought a set of sea master big guns,also i have a set of the 12.7cm guns, so i would like to do a good job on them so any tips would be very helpful many thanks
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
Not sure if there is a web article for this John. Its generally a case of carefully removing the plastic barrel part and drilling a hole for the brass barrels to fit in. Use super glue or Gator grip to secure them. Care is preferable to speed doing this sort of surgery to your models. This is how it worked on a couple of builds I did. Maybe someone else here can give you more specific advice on the model/barrel combination you have bought.
Cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC
100% correct Julian, I just had a look at the Master site and that is exactly how it is done. Take your time and make sure you get the barrels in exactly the right position or it can end up looking a bit crap. Also make sure you use a drill that is slightly larger than the pin on the barrel or you will never get it in the hole with glue on it.
Cheers
Warren
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 09:43 AM UTC
thanks you two as you can see i am a complete novice at this so dont laugh but what would you use to cut off old guns, i am thinking i might have to buy a little saw of some sort,or a craft knife so if you have any ideas they would be great thanks for your help john
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
Google for a razor saw John, that is what you need here,
cheers,
Julian
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 09:59 AM UTC
thanks julian thats what i needed to know so down to some work instead of talking about it best wishes john
 _GOTOTOP