_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
flag decals
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 04:50 AM UTC
I plan to place several signal flags on the same halyard (1/350 scale). Now I know in much larger scales it is recommended to sandwich heavy-duty aluminum foil or lead foil to give the flag decal some body and durability. I don't think this is very practical in 1/350 as it would add too much weight and look out of scale thickness. If the decal is just folded back on itself will it maintain it's durability, or will it deteriorate (crumble, disintegrate, etc.)?
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
The sandwiched aluminum foil method actually works pretty well. These flags are 1/303 scale, but flags made this way look good in 1/350 also. If you are concerned about thickness, using ordinary household aluminum foil instead of the heavy duty stuff would make finer flags for the smaller scale.
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:02 PM UTC
Nicely done. they look very realistic. The decals are just applied directly to the foil? Any further treatment for durability?

EJ
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC
I attach them to both sides of an oversize piece of foil with PVA (Elmer's glue), then trim to size and form wave shapes over a round toothpick. Simple, really.

As for durability, put the model in a case because these things are FRAGILE!
 _GOTOTOP