_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
master & commander
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hey all--I saw the new Russell Crowe flick "Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World" last night--my god, is that one fantastic movie. For anyone that loves the ocean and the men who sail her, this movie is a must-see!
--daredevil
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
The description of the Aacerhon leads me to think that she was based on the Super Frigate class built in America. Others in this class were the USS Constitution (and Constellation?) The 2ft thick walls and the model that Crowe handles seems to be based on that. In the collectors version the second disc provides the admiralty drawings for the 'Rose' copy that was used to be the 'Surprise.'
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The description of the Aachen leads me to think that she was based on the Super Frigate class built in America.

You're exactly right. The book has the "phantom" BE an American frigate. It was considered more "politically correct" to make the enemy a French ship, not American.

11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 06:59 PM UTC
I agree with Daredevil. I loved the movie after seeing it awhile back. I saw a show (can't remember what show) where they were discussing the making of the movie and If I recall correctly, they said the ship used in the movie was a full scale reproduction....thought that was pretty interesting and quite a bit to go through for creating a movie... It was awesome...can't wait to get it on DVD...
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:05 PM UTC
Own it, love it, watch it frequently!
I am not a ship modeler, but, if I were to start, the Archeron would HAVE to sail the shelf seas!

Cuhail
a Pirate of dubious distinction!
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thats right another Constitution class Super Frigate was her sista the U.S.S. United States...
 _GOTOTOP