_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
German U-XXIII 1/35th scale build
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 07:57 PM UTC
This new model from Bronco Models has captured my imagination if for no other reason than sheer size. There is as far as I am aware no upgrades for this model at this time but I am sure that will change soon.
The first two stages of this build cover assembly of the two torpedoes and their launch tubes, I have however skipped these stages for the moment and started with the rear third of the sub as due to the distortion I mentioned in my review it was going to be the most challenging starting point.

The two pictures below show the inner and outer detail of the rear of the subs body and I have zoomed into and circled one of the casting nubs that need to be removed.

These images show the rudder parts and propeller for the sub plus the bar that the rear sail plans are attached to. The rudder is easy enough to put together with the minimum of clean up, however it is worth noting that the fit is fairly loose but as it is upright no big issue. The same cannot be said for the bar (A13) which is for attaching the stern planes as it is very loose meaning if not cemented the stern planes will sit 90degrees out of true, I have used this part in the pictures here but I have decided I am going to cut it away and replace it with a metal bar that is a good fit in the moulded holes in the hull. The last part of this stage is the prop which will require great care when removing from the sprue or you will be left with a chunk missing from each blade, if like me you attach part A15 to part B15 before attaching it to the model it is easy to retain the ability to rotate the prop which will add painting later.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 09:42 PM UTC
Hi Darren,

Ha, you've been drawn into the world of watery things Next you'll be build LCs and MTBs .

You could say this is a 'Happy Time' for 1/35 scale boat/ship builders with lots of interesting kits around.

I'll be following along, even if this one is on the Dark Side! Off to a good start.

Cheers

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hello Darren, I wasn't terribly excited when this kit was first announced. But, between your review and this build, you've certainly piqued my interest. I'll be following along and trying to figure out how to tell the Mrs. that there may be another 'addition to the family', of 1/35 scale boats that is. Al
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
Glad to have you both along and lets hope it is smooth sailing.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 05:39 AM UTC
Yeah, I was curious about this one as well. I really like ships, but it can so stinking hard to deal all those tiny parts with my slipping eye sight.

Now, we get these nice big 1/35 kits and some 1/72 kits.

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 07:19 AM UTC
Interesting build Darren,
Keep the info and the photos coming.
Cheers,
Julian
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 03:33 PM UTC
Here goes the next instalment of this build and it starts with the torpedo tubes which only consist of three parts which when assembled fit through two bulkheads. The tubes are easy enough to assemble and I fitted them through the bulkheads and placed the rear caps to ensure the where truly aligned, inside the front portion of the subs body there are two grooves to make sure the bulkheads are correctly placed. The front bulkhead has the front portion of the tubes moulded on them and it is the rear bulkhead that needs correctly placing or attaching the two front halves of the sub will be difficult.

The next stage is the addition of the rear planes which are sided so carefully note which parts belong on which side as the joint is angled and is a very good fit to the hull of the sub. The plastic parts that attach the rear dive planes I am going to replace with metal bar as the plastic bar seems a little flimsy to me and the metal will ensure that they will not get broken off while working on this very large model, a side benefit is that I will use bar that is a tight fit in the moulded hull of the sub which means they will stay at the angle I place while still being moveable to aid painting access.

DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 03:15 AM UTC
Good Work!! Darren you are one Lucky man!!!
This Kit its avaible everywhere!!! Jajaja
I follow You.

Regards Daniel
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
Well, my resolve finally cracked. I ordered one of these beasts this morning, on-line from a shop here in the USA for under a 100 Dollars(including shipping). Just couldn't resist the price. What can I say, I love a bargain.
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 05:40 AM UTC
Be interesting to see it built alongside your Vosper Al. Relative size will probably not be what you normally have in mind.
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Be interesting to see it built alongside your Vosper Al. Relative size will probably not be what you normally have in mind.
Julian

Hello Julian, in a way, size does matter. I've always liked big ship models. And at this rate, I'm building quite the 1/35 scale flotilla, the Elco, MAS, Vosper, Seehund, and Maiale. I had started a LCM & a LCVP , and have a PBR still in the box. I'm still anticipating the release of the X-craft. Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 06:42 AM UTC
You misunderstand me here Al, it is surprising how small this coastal submarine really was in reality.
The X-craft is on my wish list too. And I have to smuggle the XXII into the house somehow...........
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 08:00 AM UTC
And I have to smuggle the XXII into the house somehow...........
Julian [Quote]

Heck Julian, if you could get two 1/200 Battleships into your home, a little coastal submarine should be no problem at all! Al
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 08:38 AM UTC
I so want to make a suggestion for smuggling this Mk XXIII sub into the house but there are children present,
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
It's a "Sub-marine" Darren, not a "Sub-pository"
In 1/35th scale it would certainly make your eyes water.............
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 10:14 AM UTC
Just thinking about sneaking it that way is making my eyes water.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 12:29 PM UTC
In your building of this sub is there enough room to make it into a RC sub? I guess what I am asking is there a lot of room inside the hull?
Thanks
Jim
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
I'm building this kit also and there's plenty of room inside the hull, but I guess it would require some surgery to provide access to the R/C gear. Al
 _GOTOTOP