_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
USS Buchanan DD-484
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 09:27 AM UTC
Howdy everyone, I just ordered Dragon's USS Buchanan from hobbyeasy on sale for 23.99 which i think is a steal. I've been doing some research and I need some help figuring out the 1943 fit. What would Buchanan be armed with in terms of AA would it have been just the 20mm Oerlikin or would they also have carried .50cal's? In terms of uniform what are the typical uniform colour for 1943 pacific era sailors. 3rdly in terms of a 1/350 american tug boat does anyone know who makes one, i looked around and i could only find a british one.

Thanks for all the help, once the kit comes i'll start posting, just in the research stage right now.
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 08:17 AM UTC
Well she's finally here, I'm going to do a small in box review because the my glue hasn't arrived yet
The box and Contents

Photo-etch and Decals.
All of this looks quite nicely done, especially the "anti-slip" pattern that was applied to the decks of these ships.

The doors are reproduced using photoetch and they look quite nice

6 Figures are included and they are quite amazingly done considering this is 1/350 scale.

The Hull.
Wonderfully done using slide molding.

This sprue contains the deck, and the rudder/props. Again wonderfully done for this scale

Armament, 5inch Canons.
For 5.inch Canons these are incredibly small, having been close to full sized ones I'm almost underwhelmed by these but they are still well done.

Range Finders and Fire Directors

Torpedo Tubes .50 cals and the 1.1 inch AA gun
Very nice, its shocking to see how small the ma duece is in this scale.

Whale Boats, rafts and other ship parts.

Fighting Platforms

Instructions

Once the glue comes I'll get my first ship build started. Thanks for looking everyone
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 09:06 AM UTC
Looking forward to this one too. DML has some really nice 1/350 scale destroyers. The only negative is the missing railings, really a pity, especially in this scale.

Cheers!
Stefan
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi looking like a nice build!

I have one question though, what is this slide moulding that everybody keeps talking about, how is it done?

Jakob
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
here's the "official" MSW review of his kit. Do you have the Cyberhobby edition with the railings?

Jakob, a classic mold is made of two parts, top and bottom. A slide mold is an additional part of the mold that slides into the others from the side. That way you can make details from more than two sides.

Cheers!
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 07:16 PM UTC
Will be watching this one with keen interest.....Cheers mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 08:20 AM UTC
Nice choice Alex, will be following with interest.

Si
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 02:52 AM UTC
[quote In terms of uniform what are the typical uniform colour for 1943 pacific era sailors. 3rdly in terms of a 1/350 american tug boat does anyone know who makes one,
[/quote]
I believe (could be mistaken) that officers wore Khakies, long pants, and ratings wore typical light blue shirt and dark blue pants. Are you planning on using l'Arsenal figs? They are very good, although you may get the odd 'amputee' with missing arms or legs (they are resin). North Star has also announced US crew figs in resin. These are 3D printed and don't have 'battle damage'. Alliance Modelworks has a Woban class (US) tug boat.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 02:59 AM UTC
I forgot, Iron Shipwrights also make a couple of US tugboats, both harbor and ocean-going.
 _GOTOTOP