_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/700 Railings
K-Tama
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 02:20 PM UTC
This is probably a recently asked question... But I'm kinda new to ship modelling and wanted to know how to place 1/700 railings onto a ship .. Help anyone?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC
Do you mean shaping and bending them, or glueing them on?
ShawnM
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 09:40 AM UTC
I'd love tips on both
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 03:19 AM UTC
Main deck railings are usually pretty easy - just curve gently where neccessary and tack in place with a very tiny spot of CA about every 1/4". For those annoying upper decks with multiple angles, bends, and curves I use a pair of dividers (with thumbscrew to accurately hold the dimensions)to measure between each bend. I find dividers more accurate than a ruler to transfer measurements, because if you're out by even only 1/2 mm on every measurement, you'll end up with a length of railing way too long, or way too short. Check the fit after each bend, and when happy with the shape and size, glue in place. It's the most tedious and frustrating and least interesting step in model ship building, but well worth the effort when finished. A good pair of dividers will cost a lot more than a ruler but are a lot more accurate, and will last a lifetime. I'm kinda new at model ship building, but this is how I do it. Maybe someone with more experience has better or faster alternate techniques which I would also like to know!
 _GOTOTOP