_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
1/350 Tamiya New Jersey PE bitts
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:12 AM UTC
I know, I know, it's a mistake to make such a complicated model for my first effort but I'm doing it and there's no turning back now. I got the Pontos up detail kit and I decided to try to replace the ship's bitts well at least try one to see if a) I can do it-- b) is it worth the effort? I haven't really decided on the answer to b but let's assume that it's yes. What is the best way to do this. The PE consists of a base plate with 2 holes and the actual stobs are tiny push pins. I tried using ca with an accelerator but that seems pretty messy. Should it be white glue? After the base is glued I used a pin vise to drill holes for the pins. Then I put ca on the underside of the deck to hold the pins. The test effort looks pretty messy. How would you guys do it?
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:06 AM UTC
What glue you use for PE depends on many factors. I use Gel where you need some initial grip (eg starting railing runs) and thinner stuff when I want it to run under something. Gator Glue is also another alternative that won't have parts sticking to you.
What are the part numbers of the Pontos bits so I can actually see what you are talking about?
Cheers
Warren
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:17 AM UTC
Thanks for your help. The plate PE # is 245. The scribed 20in bitt is part 20.
Selvatico
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 06:33 AM UTC
My general rule is to use CA when the bond needs to have some strength and/or the PE piece is fairly large and switch to white glue for the small stuff. I keep 3 types of CA around (extra thin, regular and gel) and switch around depending on which best meets the situation, and I don't bother with accelerator.

I like to paint the PE and prime the plastic first as well where practical; it seems to help white glue bond better.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
Gator Grip glue is pretty hard to beat IMHO.
If you need a quick adhesion a tiny drop of CA with a slightly bigger drop of accelerator. If you want to see the work of a real CA/PE master look for Tim Biddiscombe's Yamato build. The way this guy works baffles me completely, a true magician.
cheers,
Julian, ( rather jaded CA user )
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 08:30 AM UTC
I use a spray applicator for my accelerator as the accelerator does not affect any finishes already applied.

I see the parts now. It looks like they are surrounds for the things used to tie the ship up yes? Does the Pontos set come with replacement bollards or do you use the kit ones?
Are there cutouts in the wooden deck to accommodate these or are they glued on top of the wood?
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 10:27 AM UTC
Yes they are like cleats on a smaller vessel. They are meant to go over the deck coverings. They do supply the bollards as brass pieces that are like thumbtacks or pushpins.
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 10:33 AM UTC
Thanks for helping folks. You're awesome!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes they are like cleats on a smaller vessel. They are meant to go over the deck coverings. They do supply the bollards as brass pieces that are like thumbtacks or pushpins.

OK. I would use CA Gel sparingly as it won't soak into the wood. A dab of accelerator may help. When you have glued the flat piece with the holes in it down then glue the brass bollards in place, again using Gel CA. Wipe off any excess with a bud before accelerating the drying. Should be fine.
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 11:14 PM UTC
Thank you so very much Warren! That is just what I'm looking for.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 03:26 AM UTC
Any time John. Always happy to help. The PE may cost more than the kit, but it can make a kot into a masterpiece.
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC
Just wanted to let you know Warren that the method you recommended worked beautifully. I bought a .026" bit and used a pin vise to drill the holes. Most satisfying! Thanks again shipmates.
 _GOTOTOP