_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
rigging
johnmallam
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 98 posts
Model Shipwrights: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 01:37 PM UTC
hello everyone i am just starting modelling and am building 1/350 new jersey. looking at some of the other builds i cant work out how they do such fantastic rigging,i know theres not to much rigging on the n/j but my next one will be ijn yamota which looking at the pics some makers have done there is a lot of rigging .it seems if you do a good build and muck up the rigging you might as well forget it .i hope you can buy it ready to fix as it looks v complicated otherwise .thanks for your time guys best wishes john
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 02:05 PM UTC
i personally have not finished a ship yet, but am working a 1/350 musashi. i read somewhere online that railroad shops may be a good place to start with material to use for rigging.
i went into one recently. they have a semi stretchy material that is used for things such as power cables. the diameter is about right for rigging and is what i plan on using once i am ready
K-Tama
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 05:35 PM UTC
Try stretched Sprue .... I've had the same problem a few months ago when I first started ship modelling , but I've heard and seen a lot of good rigging work made out of stretched Sprue.. Good luck
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC
Stretched sprue is certainly cheap (FREE!), but does have downsides. It's going to sag and to taughten the lines you have to heat them. And if they don't taughten at the same rate, you're going to have some too taught and some too slack which pulls the mast out of alignment. The stretchy stuff (EZLine) costs more, but stretching it slightly when installing it keeps it taught when in place without distorting the masts. I will agree stretch sprue still has it's uses especially where you need to have a slack, or drooping, line. I've also tried fishing line, but it still has the same problems of stretched sprue. I find the stretchy stuff the fastest and easiest to use.
 _GOTOTOP