_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Artwork deck 1/600 Hood
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC
I haven't used an Artworx wooden deck before, and I'm curious how much of the original needs to be removed first. The deck details on this kit are pretty minimal, and I'm afraid they'll get hidden if I don't remove some of the existing deck first.

I've been scraping at it with an big Xacto, but it's slow going. Working around those little details is a pain.

Are there aftermarket parts to replace those, so I could just dremel the whole thing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I did the decking in the gun bays, and it looks so much better!

TRM5150
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,159 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,400 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:12 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

Actually, I have not used these decks as of yet either. I have a couple on the way...from what I am gathering, you would only need to remove the fixed deck parts that you have AM for. I am working a 1/700 Warspite and there are a number of parts that need to come off. Sprue cutters worked excellent for this and they cut real close to the deck. I would say pick up some flat chisel blades for your Exacto and/or one of the micro chisels from Mission Models...well worth it. If my decks come in soon I will certainly have some more information soon for ya! Good luck!!
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:35 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

I have used one artworx deck, 1/350th on the Varyag, build is over on the "Ship Type by class section" I didn't need to remove any deck detail, as the deck was pre-cut to fit over the detail. some of the smaller openings did need popping out with the tip of a sharp blade, but all in all fitted over everything very well.

Si
 _GOTOTOP